lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2011, 05:15 AM   #1
ryan_84
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Exclamation Help

Hi guys i have done a wiring diagram of whats going on under the seat can anyone enlighten me abit on what it all means?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F&R Switch Golf cart.jpg (126.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Golf Cart Wiring.jpg (119.2 KB, 19 views)
ryan_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help

NO..... but it looks pretty

What year is your cart and which drive system do you have?
Then what seems to be the problem?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Scotty, Ryan has a 96 TXT Series cart that has been modified.
The F/R switch was replaced with a pair of German made 3P-ST relays. Electrical specs unknown.
There is another relay (Finder 55.32 series) whose function isn't clear and electrical specs are unknown.
There is also an added terminal strip that a lot of circuits are routed through.
If you go to his first thread posted, he has under seat pictures on pg-2.

Ryan, your cart is unique, unless the person that modified it has modified others.
If you can track down who the person is, he/she might be able to explain the exact hows and whys of it, but other than that you'll have to accept some generalizations.

Except for the Direction selector switch assembly contained within the dotted lines, this is what you have, or pretty close to it. (Less accessory items)

As you see, it is clear and concise, easy to follow and uncluttered.
If you can draw what you have in a similar manner, how it works should become obvious to you if you have a basic understanding of electrical devices. If not, it can be explained in layman's terms.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_84 View Post
Hi guys i have done a wiring diagram of whats going on under the seat can anyone enlighten me abit on what it all means?
I think it means the previous owner had extra parts laying around and he wanted to build a better mouse trap. Unfortunately, that isn't going to help you at all... ever. When I looked at those drawings I got a slight headache. When I'm at work and I run into this type of thing I pick up the phone and dial an extension to get a guy like JohnnieB. When the guy shows up he usually looks at those prints and says something like "Ah, makes perfect sense but you can't do anything to fix it so change the box".

I saw the pictures from your reverse light posting in which it was proven your cart is unique. I think anyone who looks at your previous posts and these diagrams you have will come to one conclusive question....

WHY?????? What was the previous owner thinking?

I'm sorry man. If I had your cart and diagrams long enough, with the proper amount of beer, I'm sure all the wires could be traced individually from point A to point B and some clearness could be found on what the heck is going on with your cart. JohnnieB's advise is as good or better than any I have seen in any forum. If you can answer his questions, albeit starting from scratch, you will most likely get some resolution.

Until then, all I can give you is some sympathy.

Best of luck Friend.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
dougmcp
Gone Wild

FYI Gonkulor, this reversing contactor that Ryan has is a pretty common conversion to eliminate the F/R switch on a series cart. It's mostly used in high amperage conditions and also serves to utilize a rocker or toggle switch to change directions. It's more expensive than what Ezgo used in the stock cart but electrically speaking, is a much better way to do the job.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
twp5253
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
FYI Gonkulor, this reversing contactor that Ryan has is a pretty common conversion to eliminate the F/R switch on a series cart. It's mostly used in high amperage conditions and also serves to utilize a rocker or toggle switch to change directions. It's more expensive than what Ezgo used in the stock cart but electrically speaking, is a much better way to do the job.
Yes, I like using solenoids to do my F/R and also my EMP two speed function....but it get crazy complicated in a hurry!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2107.jpg (228.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2108.jpg (214.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2151.JPG (52.0 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by twp5253; 10-20-2011 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: Adding Pictures
twp5253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
Ha! Well I'll be a monkeys uncle! There IS a better mouse trap Now I want one.

Not wanting to Hijack Ryans thread, my apologies for my nievity. I hope you get your answers.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
ryan_84
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey guys thanks every one for your advice i guess ill just re-wire it with new wire but back the way it was.
ryan_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

In my opinion and as dougmcp stated, using solenoids for direction control is better electrically than a high current mechanical switch, but as twp5253 stated, doing so gets complicated.

I don't know how familiar you are with how a series electrical motor works, so you may already know this, but I'll spell it out anyway.

The Armature (moveable windings) and Stator (stationary windings) are connected in series, hence the name.
The same current that passes through the armature passes through the stator. (This same current also passes through all the interconnecting cables on the batteries, all the high current cables to the speed controller, solenoid, F/R switch and to/from the motor.)
The direction the motor rotates is reversed by reversing the direction current flows through the stator. That is all a mechanical F/R switch or solenoid type F/R control actually does, but high current is being switched, so some interlocks are added to keep the switching from occurring while high current is flowing.

This switching of current flow direction through the stator can be accomplished with a high current double pole double throw switch, which can be actuated either by hand (IE: stock EZGO F/R switch) or by an electromagnet (aka - Relay/Solenoid/Contactor), but all of the solenoid F/R setups I've seen schematics of uses more than one solenoid.

If the setup you've got is working, and the parts it is made from are readily available "down under", I'm not entirely sure I would change it back to stock since I suspect the previous owner used what was readily available in Australia rather than the solenoids typically used elsewhere.

If it is not working, I would probably rebuildthe F/R switching device with different solenoids. Here is a basic diagram.

This is electrically what you've got, except Controller and Throttle are different and your two F/R solenoids are depicted as two DPST units
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #10
twp5253
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

So, If I read this correctly....it has been awhile since I have done my setup. Your showing 4 SPST Solenoids to do the F/R operation? And, what would happen if one of them hung up during operation? Isn't that the benefit of the Albright SW202 or perhaps they could hang up too? Have you seen the Gigavac 600+amp solenoids? GX-16? Thanks, sorry for the hijak
twp5253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO