lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
linda83ezgo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 83 Marathon Rebuild Project

Rebuilt the motor and the crank was bent so that solves that mystery. Bearings did not look or feel sloppy but the seals were very bad to the point of disentegrating. She is all back together I primed the fuel pump as suggested and she fired up on the second try with very little chock. Needless to say I am very happy. Based on where I am at now I have a couple of questions.

1. There is a vent at the top of the carb that was spitting out gas when I first started but stopped shortly after it fired up. What is this and should it have a vent tube to the ground?
2. How long is the starter belt mine is adjusted full out and is still too loose?
3. It already back fires a bit when I let off the gas does this mean its BBQ time for the muffler?
4. The governor is not hooked up what is the top speed without gov? The manuel says its set for 12mph for top speed.

Next thing is to get it looking a bit better. I got some newer tires that are not all craked and I am going to put a 5" or 6" lift on it to keep it out of the weeds I am sure there are pleanty of threads for that. Thanks for the advice it's been a great help.

Dan
linda83ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #12
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 83 Marathon Rebuild Project

1. The vent in the top is a breather. As the fuel in the bowl gets lower air has to be allowed in to stop a vacuum forming. Similarly when the float sinks enough to allow fuel into the bowl the air is pushed out. If you saw fuel spitting out it is likely that the float was stuck (probably from lack of use) but it sounds fine now. Yes there should be a plastic pipe on there about 9 inches long. It's not essential but worth doing so that if the float does stick you will not have fuel spurting across the top of the carburetor.

2. I would just take your belt to Autozone or similar and ask for one xx inches shorter. Just get the cheapest possible as compared to an auto starter you are applying very little load.

3. The most common issue with backfiring (especially when letting off the gas) is a missing spring on the throttle cable against the carburetor lever. Do you have that spring?

4. 12 mph was the federal mandate on golf cart speed. Your speed depends on the general condition of the engine and cart (brakes not binding) and the final gearing. I am using 22 inch tires which in effect give me overdrive and I have GPS'ed the cart at 21 mph on the flat. Long ago I realized that the accelerator goes in both directions so I removed the governor cable and levers.

By the way congratulations on the rebuild it is always good to see the old carts brought back from the dead.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO