lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
redbird
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 Torque Spring Question

Hi folks new to the site and had a couple questions. I am considering replacing the spring on the driven clutch with the new "torque" spring. (cart seems a little slow on hills) I have seen where some say yes and some say no on the G1. Also see either red springs or white spring. Read some where white was too stiff for G1 and the red was fine. Just wanting advice on what is best for the G1. Am planning on future tire/lift upgrades and where i live most of my driving is not flat. Cart# is J31-159693 if it makes any difference. Don't want to spend $50-70 if it's not worth it. Thanks for the advice to a new guy.
redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Field6565
Gone Wild

Default Re: G1 Torque Spring Question

The white spring is to stiff for the G1. It will kill the top end speed. Some have had good success with the red one when used with new cut secondary sheaves. I kept my factory sheaves and spring and made a shim to put behind the spring so the cart would be held in lower gear longer giving it better torque. I'm happy with it.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
redbird
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the feedback. One other question, upon further inspection it looks as though my G1 has 2? springs on the sendary clutch. I thought it was just one spring...........
Old 05-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Field6565
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird View Post
Thanks for the feedback. One other question, upon further inspection it looks as though my G1 has 2? springs on the sendary clutch. I thought it was just one spring...........
If there are two springs in your secondary clutch then the spring is broken in half. There should be only one spring.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
redbird
Not Yet Wild

Sounds like its time to get the toolbox out. thanks again. Also I can pretty much assume if the spring is broken that would be a big reason it is weak on hills and seems to "bog" the motor down. Flat ground seems fine.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
yamarancher
Gone Wild

Yamaha

If your spring is broke, that's your problem. I bought mine from plowmans & have been happy with it.
yamarancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
redbird
Not Yet Wild

Actually it looks like 1 spring inside of another, 2 different sizes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart spring.jpg (82.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
bizkit
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

We use to double the springs that way at the shop. It helps with the low side on pulling the inner spring most likely came out of the g1 clutch.
bizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
redbird
Not Yet Wild

So if I understand this right it's possible someone took the spring out of the primary clutch and installed it on the secondary along with the standard secondary clutch spring? This is done to hold the sheaves on the secondary together to help with the low end power correct? Other than a lack of low end power the cart seems to run ok. Starts easy and tops out about 15 mph on the GPS. Cold compression on the motor is about 115 which seems to be acceptable from what i have read. I've had the cart a couple years and havn't really done anything but drive it occasionally. Kids are getting to the age where they are driving it (teenagers). I have a tune up kit on the way (filters, plug). May remove carb and give it a good cleaning also. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
bizkit
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yes thats bout it most likely they robbed it out of another clutch. If you have trouble pulling hills try a new belt. Also give your clutch a good cleaning.
bizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha