lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
B.Roussel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 72v ezgo gear swap question

I'm in the process of building my 72v ezgo and have a question about which gears to go with. I will be running 14" wheels and a big torque motor built by plum quick. The cart will only be a 2 seater and will only be driven on level roads around the neighborhood, mostly at cruising speed(around quarter to half throttle) but I want to have the speed there when I need it. My question is does anybody out there have a similar set-up with a gear swap or have seen this? I want to go with the 6:1 gears because I have a buddy with pretty much the same setup but with 8:1 gears and hits 40mph. I currently hit 35 at 48v so I want more than him because I can't see doing all this work and spending to only gain 5mph. Will this setup with 6:1 gears draw to many amps? I plan on installing an exray volt to constantly monitor motor temp. What happens with too much amp draw? Is it just components getting overheated or does it cause more damage than that such as burning up motor brushes? I appreciate anyone's opinion and input.
B.Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 72v ezgo gear swap question

14" wheels but what size tires?

Most of your questions should be directed at your motor builder. They "should" build you a motor that won't over heat or draw too many amp continuously and kill your batteries.

Call PQ and write down their answers then call D&D and ask the same. You then decide on which to go with.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:58 PM   #3
B.Roussel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

My tires are 205-30-14. I emailed DnD, waiting on a reply.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:18 PM   #4
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

I'd venture to guess that you'd be fine with the 6:1 gears on 72v. Our pit cart has 6:1 gears with 205/30/14 tires on the rear. We have a DCX650 contoller on 48v. Runs 43 mph and we still use it to tow the dragster.

As far as the amp draw goes, just monitor the motor temp and expect to shorten the life of the batteries if you continually pull max amps from them. I also have the Exray and it works great for monitoring the temp of the motor. I put the probe under a field coil bolt.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:15 AM   #5
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Roussel View Post
My tires are 205-30-14. I emailed DnD, waiting on a reply.
Email? Call and talk to one of their engineers (Eric or Vic). They are good people and will give you real answers to your questions.

Don't forget to call PQ to compare also, it's best to have options.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:49 PM   #6
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: 72v ezgo gear swap question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
I'd venture to guess that you'd be fine with the 6:1 gears on 72v. Our pit cart has 6:1 gears with 205/30/14 tires on the rear. We have a DCX650 contoller on 48v. Runs 43 mph and we still use it to tow the dragster.

As far as the amp draw goes, just monitor the motor temp and expect to shorten the life of the batteries if you continually pull max amps from them. I also have the Exray and it works great for monitoring the temp of the motor. I put the probe under a field coil bolt.
That's what I did on the 72 monster cart. The Exray is a nice tool to have.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #7
B.Roussel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
That's what I did on the 72 monster cart. The Exray is a nice tool to have.
Can you please specify what you did on your monster cart? Install the exray or 72v with 6:1 gears?
Old 02-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: 72v ezgo gear swap question

72 volts stock rear end and it ran 22MPH with a PQ monster torque motor. This cart will climb a tree if you can stay in it and get traction!

I run the Exray to keep tabs on the motor and how fast I'm going. I put the heat senor on one of the field winding bolts on the motor. Just take one of them loose and replace it.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6:1, 72v, amp, draw, gears
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!