lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2015, 07:57 PM   #1
matto
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Post Question about changing oil in rearend of G16E

Hello,

I'm new to this, I currently have my cart taken apart to change the brushes in the motor. While I have everything apart I figured it would be a good time to check or change the oil in the rearend. Can anyone please offer some advice. I need to know how, what replacement parts I might need and what kind of oil to put back in.

So far I have changed all the cables out to 4G cleaned all contacts, and F/R switch. I really don't want to take this back apart because I didn't do something. So if I should do anything else please advise.

Thank you
matto is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2015, 08:17 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Question about changing oil in rearend of G16E

It holds 305cc of 75w90 gear lube. Can be changed by removing pan to drain, replace pan and pump 305cc oil in hole. This is assuming you have the "dana" axle with the stamped steel diff cover. If you have the "yamaha built" axle with no steel cover, it has a drain plug, and a fill plug (i dont recall how much it holds).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #3
matto
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thank you. I'm guessing I have the one with the Stamped Steel pan. Trying to get all the oil off of it to be sure. I haven't found a plug. When you say pump oil back in to hole. What hole are you talking about? Do I need to replace the pan gasket?

Thank you for helping me
Old 04-22-2015, 09:22 PM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

There is no pan gasket (only a thin film of silicone sealer was used). If you have the "dana" axle, it has a rubber plug in the steel cover, the steel cover was painted black, and the rubber plug was also black.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:36 AM   #5
matto
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

ok, thank you, you have been a big help.

So I will also need to get some silcone gasket stuff to put back on the pan? I guess a auto parts store will have what I need.

Will let you know how it goes.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:49 AM   #6
matto
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Got the pan off last night. Glad I checked this not much oil left. The guy before me must of used the entire tube of silicone. It took me a while to get all of this off the pan and the housing. I was also able to find the rubber plug once I get the grease off the pan.

Thank you again for helping me.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:32 AM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

If you have oil further up the outside of the axle, and on bottom of motor, you likely also have a input shaft seal leak (fairly common). Yamaha makes a good kit for that if needed (part number 99999-JU200).
Old 04-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #8
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by matto View Post
Hello,

I'm new to this, I currently have my cart taken apart to change the brushes in the motor. While I have everything apart I figured it would be a good time to check or change the oil in the rearend. Can anyone please offer some advice. I need to know how, what replacement parts I might need and what kind of oil to put back in.

So far I have changed all the cables out to 4G cleaned all contacts, and F/R switch. I really don't want to take this back apart because I didn't do something. So if I should do anything else please advise.

Thank you
So far both of my 2007 YDREs have only gotten 8 years on the oil in the rearend. Not nearly as impressive as the rear oil in my '94 DS which just entered its 3rd decade.
thetoddjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:26 PM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoddjohnson View Post
So far both of my 2007 YDREs have only gotten 8 years on the oil in the rearend. Not nearly as impressive as the rear oil in my '94 DS which just entered its 3rd decade.
And you will be "impressed" with the goop that comes out when you do change them, the team axle internal brake deposits all its worn off braking material in the gear oil. Needs to be done at least every 4 years.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:36 PM   #10
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Needs to be done at least every 4 years.
Apparently not. Maybe I should do it this summer on the G29s. I'm gonna let the DS go the distance.

TJ
thetoddjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha