lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
dr_destructo
Not Yet Wild

Default Controller troubleshooting

Hello to everyone! Been lurking on here for a while, lots of great info. I have a Marathon(pretty sure). I think it is @ 1991. I expected it to have the resistor-type speed controller, but it has an electronic/solid state s/c. There is a rod coming from the pedal and is connected to a small box with 2 levers on it. Behind the small box is the s/c. It all looks stock. Problem is when the pedal is pressed all the way the cart stops moving in forward. It will only go forward up to about 50% pedal. In reverse it works fine througout the entire pedal range. In fact, it seems that the cart will go faster in reverse(not sure if they are supposed to go the same speed in fwd and rev . or not). Any thoughts? Any idea what system I have. Not sure what you guys mean when you talk about DCS and non-DCS, series or regen. ANy help is appreciated. Thinking about maybe a 72 volt setup, but need to know what I have to start with.
dr_destructo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Controller troubleshooting

Should be a black and white wire from the potentiometer going to the controller.

Check the resistance of these. Should be 0 at rest and 5k ohms at wide open throttle.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
dr_destructo
Not Yet Wild

OK, I'll check it with a meter tomorrow. Is there an adjustment for resistance or does it need to be replaced?
Old 04-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #4
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

The pot can be adjusted. BTW, it should be a smooth rise from 0-5k.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #5
dr_destructo
Not Yet Wild

Check the wire with my meter and and wide open it was 7.2k ohms. I adjusted the throw and length of all the rods and had it to 5k @ WOT. It doesnt kick off until @ 6.8k. IS there andy benefit from setting it so 6.5k is WOT? Doesnt really seem any quicker. Any idea what an upgraded controller would cost? Recomendations? Would like to go to 72 volts. From what I've read, the motor will be fine, and aside from the charger situation, I would need to replace the selenoid and maybe f/r switch? Anything else I'm missing?
Old 04-13-2009, 07:46 AM   #6
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

No benefit and it may shut down the controller. Sounds possibly like the pot is whacked.

Check with site sponsors on controllers. The Alltrax brand is a good replacement controller and specifically, the 7245 AXE model is a good one. Definitely need to upgrade buss on FNR.

Good luck.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO