lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2019, 11:24 AM   #1
SCoilMagic
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 electric rxv Ezgo slow forard than stall, slow reverse than stall plz help

I have a 2008 ezgo electric rxv, that stalls in reverse and forward.
buzzer always on I reverse.

the was a new Curtis controller installed a Curtis 1206AC - 5201.
new solenoid. also new brake wiper .

throttle mapping and throttle input are both showing zero on the handheld.

tried swapping the postion sensors out, still the same .

please this golf cart is driving me crazy !!!!!
SCoilMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2019, 11:55 AM   #2
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2008 electric rxv Ezgo slow forard than stall, slow reverse than stall plz help

does cart roll freely in tow ????
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:01 PM   #3
SCoilMagic
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2008 electric rxv Ezgo slow forard than stall, slow reverse than stall plz help

the cart does roll freely when the switch is in the tow position
Old 07-23-2019, 12:31 PM   #4
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2008 electric rxv Ezgo slow forard than stall, slow reverse than stall plz help

My first thought would be the bearing encoder mounted in the motor.

Second thought would be corrosion in the wiring harness between the controller and bearing encoder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jkredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #5
SCoilMagic
Not Yet Wild

there was a tap into the white wire that runs to the encoder on the motor. the wire was suppost to be tapped into the brake switch wire which on this golf cart is gray . ( used a meter to identify the wire)

could that have fried the encoder ????
Old 07-23-2019, 04:47 PM   #6
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OK reread the original post. Missed that this was a Danaher to Curtis conversion. My goof.

Yes if the wire was connected to the wrong white or grey wire, the controller could have been damaged, but the fact that it moves makes me think the controller survived and the issue was with the bearing encoder. The encoder is really just a sensor the allows the controller to count pulses. So, yes, the miss tapped wire could be confusing the controller. I think it would be hard to damage the encoder. Correct the wiring (if needed) and see what happens....

18 months ago I started a thread where chronicled my trials and tribulations with a Danaher to Curtis Conversion. On these seasoned (more vintage ) carts, the Curtis controller will complain about a lot of stuff the Danaher ignored like throttle and brake switches having some resistance when closed, and some corrosion in the wiring harness.

The bearing encoder has some very fine wires which can easily break when they age. (At least that was my issue when I re-wired my cart.) So depending on how much pressure / jostling the encoder wires took, the actual splicing of the line could have moved a wire enough to break it.

Please understand that I’m guessing based on what I’m reading in the posts.

Again, the fact that the cart moves a short distance than stops, and putting the cart in tow mode releases the motor brake makes me think the issue is with the encoder, or the wiring between the encoder and the controller.

Let us know if you have other questions or want more info. (Other than the EZGO technicians that monitor some threads, we’re all cart enthusiasts - or live on a golf course! We’ve mostly learned via education by error...)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jkredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:31 AM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCoilMagic View Post
I have a 2008 ezgo electric rxv, that stalls in reverse and forward.
buzzer always on I reverse.

the was a new Curtis controller installed a Curtis 1206AC - 5201.
new solenoid. also new brake wiper .

throttle mapping and throttle input are both showing zero on the handheld.

tried swapping the postion sensors out, still the same .

please this golf cart is driving me crazy !!!!!
This indicates an improper Danaher to Curtis conversion kit installation. The result of that is damage to the controller. When the +48V motor brake circuit was connected to the 5V bus at the throttle/brake encoder connections, it damaged everything 5V related along with the lower current 5V encoder power supply. The controller will need to be replaced or repaired in order to get power to the encoder circuit. That is why there is no throttle input reading. There is no 5V to power the encoders. The throttle/brake/motor speed encoders, all of them, are likely fried from the +48V being applied as well. It is a common mistake that has proven to be detrimental.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #8
SCoilMagic
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
This indicates an improper Danaher to Curtis conversion kit installation. The result of that is damage to the controller. When the +48V motor brake circuit was connected to the 5V bus at the throttle/brake encoder connections, it damaged everything 5V related along with the lower current 5V encoder power supply. The controller will need to be replaced or repaired in order to get power to the encoder circuit. That is why there is no throttle input reading. There is no 5V to power the encoders. The throttle/brake/motor speed encoders, all of them, are likely fried from the +48V being applied as well. It is a common mistake that has proven to be detrimental.

for the rxv encoder (throttle/brake/motor) is that considered the bearing encoder ?
Old 07-25-2019, 02:39 PM   #9
SCoilMagic
Not Yet Wild

thank you everybody , your knowledge has helped me better understand this journey, and for that I thank you all !
Old 07-25-2019, 02:59 PM   #10
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

I responded to your PM
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, ezgo, rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO