lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
gamer1
Getting Wild

Default Battery acid on garage floor

I keep my 2002 pds Ezgo in the garage all year. For some strange reason I moved the cart to play golf yesterday and acid was all over the floor under the cart. Believe me once it has etched the concrete you don't fix it. Anyone have any ideas why this thing decided to vomit on my garage floor?
A few facts. (1.) I haven't recently filled the batteries. (2.) The batteries all have a safe amount of water in them...not showing any plates and no signs of acid on top or an sides of the batteries. (3.) The cart has not been moved for Approximately 2 months except for moving it out of the way to clean the garage. (4.) I did plug the charger in the other day when I found out I was going to play golf.
I now have a rubber mat under the cart.
gamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
dodgefather
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery acid on garage floor

Are you sure its acid? I had orange spots under mine the other day and it was the same situation as with yours. I have cardboard under mine now.
dodgefather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
gamer1
Getting Wild

Not positive but couldn't come up with anything else. If it is acid I would like to know if re-charging the batteries may have caused it. Any help appreciated.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
dereckbc
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer1 View Post
Not positive but couldn't come up with anything else. If it is acid I would like to know if re-charging the batteries may have caused it. Any help appreciated.
Any chance your batteries were frozen and caracked the case?
dereckbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:00 AM   #5
gamer1
Getting Wild

No the batteries were well charged. They aren't leaking anything at this point. We don't get cold enough and long enough to freeze anything in the garage.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:02 AM   #6
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Every time you charge the pack it gasses. This gas collects on every surface under the seat. Add in the right weather conditions and condensation will cause the corrosion caused by the gasses to drip off of the racks leaving a nasty orange stain behind. This is common on every sparky. A piece of corrugated cardboard under the cart will help greatly. Keeping the battery bay very clean will help also.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
gamer1
Getting Wild

Thanks Gornoman. That solves the mystery. I didn't know that. It was very wet and foggy the last time I used it. And I didn't clean it up like I normally do.
Lesson learned.....
Old 01-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Anyone have any ideas how to clean the concrete once you get nasty azz orange on the floor.
Helped the neighbor put lights on his sparkie last summer and it left some stains.

Yet another reason gassers rule
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
hitmanharleyk
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by essness View Post
Anyone have any ideas how to clean the concrete once you get nasty azz orange on the floor.
Helped the neighbor put lights on his sparkie last summer and it left some stains.
You need a cleaner that has some Iron Chelators in it and it would help if it has some grit scrubbers in it. Most of these come in a powder form that you sprinkle on, wet it and work in with a stiff brush.
hitmanharleyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #10
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by essness View Post
Most of the "orange" is rust. Try oxalic acid in solution with water. Might take a few attempts.

Barkeeper's Friend has oxalic acid in it.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO