lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Bignehls
Not Yet Wild

Default Melex 512 questions

Hey guys first time here and must say great forum and I have learned a lot already but have a few questions.

I picked up an old melex 512e now I know it's not a popular cart but it's in excellent condition and got it cheap. I added a 5 inch lift (homemade) and painted it. I'm in the process of fabricating a rear seat now and looking for bigger rims and tires.

Now I want it to go faster....the batteries are not bad but not great. I read that going to 48v is a good bang for the buck. So thinking of replacing batteries and going to 48v system. I'm not clear so can I just add to more batteries or do I have to change out any electrical parts. If so what do I change and to what?

Also I have read about sending motor in to get more performance out of it
So any thoughts on that?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Bignehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Melex 512 questions

You will have to change out the electronics. Is this a solid state cart or a resistor cart? if you arent sure, look under it and see if you see any wire coils hanging down from the battery compartment. if so it's a resistor.

To go to 48 you will need a new contoller, new cables and a solenoid at minimum. you may need some more. if you can get us the Tag ID info we can help you out a little more.

I just went thru this with my 252. I stayed @ 36 volts but I upgraded to solid state as mine was a resistor cart. I ended up picking up a 98 EZGO and trans planted everything into mine. Controller, wiring, solenoid, FNR motor and Rear end. other than welding on new axle perches and shock mounts it was an easy install. I may go with 48 volt later but I am happy with the changes so far. when the weather breaks I can get to paint! lol

Hope that helps I am sure others will chime in too with help! there is never a shortage of helpful tips and insight around here.

Good luck!

Arin
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:31 AM   #3
Bignehls
Not Yet Wild

Well I have a controller cart not resistor. So where would I buy the parts I need? What size and brand controller would I need? What about solenoid?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #4
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I would shop around for pricing. as far as amp size,it's all in what you are looking to do. the more amps, more power and speed. if you are looking at a motor swap down the road, look at at least a 400 amp, but the 500's are the more popular upgrade. Scotty B's carts unlimited has some good package deals that have the solenoid and the FNR switch, check the other site sponsors, and just general net searches. and go with what works for you.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Bignehls
Not Yet Wild

I checked out C.U. And think I will get his combo package so thanks for that tip. I have older Polaris rims and tires that fit on my cart they are 24x11x10 do you think its ok to use them? I have 5 inch lift kit so clearance isn't an issue just not sure if they will over work the 36v electrical sys. The cart will be pavement pounder only.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

i think you will be fine. a lot of guys are running big tires on 36V motors. even @ 48V. You should be fine. if you are worried I would drop the motor, clean the terminals and pop in a new set of brushes and run it! if you kill it you have a core for a plum Quick motor.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:38 AM   #7
Bignehls
Not Yet Wild

Is replacing the brushes hard? Maybe someone could give me a step by step on that job cause I'm sure they have Aton of wear. I'm going to install 4 gauge welding wire thru out the cart. Next fall I'm thinking of upgrading to 48v and doing the plumb quick mod.
L
Old 02-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

the plans sound good. as far as the how to, search option the forums. I am sure you will find something on it. if not get your model number from the motor and google search it with the words "exploded view."(Motor name model number, Exploded View) that should get you on the right path.

if you do not find a how to, grab your camera and do your own as you swap brushes! speaking of camera, when are we going to see your cart?

Arin
Old 02-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
Bignehls
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the ideas. And pics are coming. Lol
Old 02-14-2013, 02:42 AM   #10
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

You're welcome and good to know!! :D
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex