lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
Krw1029
Not Yet Wild

Default Need help with my 88 ezgo

OK guys I'm new here and to the golf cart world. I picked an 88 (from what I could tell you the look of the fuel pump and carb) for use around the property. The presumes owner told me to mix the gas 40:1 which I did and it ran pretty good for a couple of weeks then one day it died. I tinkered with it ( didn't really do much) and it started running again for about another week and then stopped again. I pulled gas line from carb and wasn't really getting any fuel so I replaced pump and it's now getting fuel but will only run when I choke it. Any suggestions? I also replaced air filter. Plug is getting spark obviously. Next step? Cleancarb?

How do I now if the pump is giving carb enough fuel?

Thanks for the help...
Krw1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #2
Morgan44
Gone Wild

Default Re: Need help with my 88 ezgo

If it runs with choke only there is a fuel problem. Since you replaced the pump, A good carb disassembly and cleaning is in order. That would be the next step I took.
Morgan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #3
Krw1029
Not Yet Wild

That's what I was thinking but figured I would see if there was anything else I should check first...
Old 09-24-2015, 12:44 PM   #4
Krw1029
Not Yet Wild

So I just called the local repair shop and he said I should only be mixing 128:1 wonder if this is my problem?
Old 09-25-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
Kustrud
Gone Wild

128:1 sounds high, but I have no idea - find out what the mixture is supposed to be 100% sure and clean the carb. Should be good. Best way to clean is obviously spray all passages with cleaner, but Id go a step further and let it soak in a can of it overnight after doing that as well. Then spray out everything again and follow with air.
Kustrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
Morgan44
Gone Wild

128-1 is correct. Disassemble the carb and clean everything with brake/carb cleaner. Spray through all passages, follow with air compressor. Set float level correctly.
Morgan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:40 PM   #7
Krw1029
Not Yet Wild

Got it running. Gave me a new appreciation for dirt in the carb. There was some so small stuck in main jet that I could still see through it so I missed it on my first go over. Got it out with wire so I'm back up and running...good news is I have new pump and lines now...
Old 09-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #8
Krw1029
Not Yet Wild

So now that I'm running. I am go to put some new tires on. Right now it just has turf tires. Thinking about lifting it some but I have some pretty steep hills on the property some I'm not sure if I wanna go up in tire size...would I lose a lot of pulling power with a larger tire?
Old 09-26-2015, 06:58 PM   #9
TomStark
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krw1029 View Post
So now that I'm running. I am go to put some new tires on. Right now it just has turf tires. Thinking about lifting it some but I have some pretty steep hills on the property some I'm not sure if I wanna go up in tire size...would I lose a lot of pulling power with a larger tire?
You would lose some, but the clutches should keep the motor in a part of the RPM band that makes it happy, so you should still be able to climb the hills, just possibly at a slower speed.
also, the 128:1 is correct, but I would run fatter than that. they do that for the golf course so there is no smell. I am running about that now, but when I go through my motor, I will up the compression and probably run closer to 60:1. remember, lots of 2 strokes run 50:1 so 60:1 should be no problem. And if I tighten the motor up a bit and add compression, it will need a little more oil.
TOm
TomStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:23 PM   #10
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomStark View Post
I am running about that now, but when I go through my motor, I will up the compression and probably run closer to 60:1. remember, lots of 2 strokes run 50:1 so 60:1 should be no problem. And if I tighten the motor up a bit and add compression, it will need a little more oil.
TOm
If you run 60:1 it will smoke excessively. I have found that 70:1 is the limit on a modded motor, and will only smoke a little bit.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO