lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2016, 01:41 PM   #1
cdcoates
Not Yet Wild

Default Most unique G1 problem, no spark unless cover is closed ...

My G1 runs in fits and spurts but not if I'm sitting on the seat or if the engine cover is open and sometimes it won't run if I'm standing with both feet on the floor.
To start from the beginning, the cart has been sitting a year and was giving me a little trouble with spark when it was parked. The time off was not kind to it and now I'm really confused. Before it was parked very occasionally I'd lose spark and nothing I did would fix it but if I came back a day later she'd fire right up. So two days ago I got one lap around the house and she shut down. I check the orange wire and had power but none at the plug. I swap out the coil from a parts cart and still nothing. I was giving up for the day and closed her up but before I could gather up told my 4 year old helper stepped on the gas and it tried to fire. So I tried it while still on the ground and it fire enough to engage the clutch and I hopped on ... It died and wouldn't fire. I hopped off, opened the cover, tried the pedal and got nothing. Closed the lid, tried the pedal, fired but as I stepped all my weight onto the cart I lost fire, step back down and as soon as my weight gets off the cart it tried to fire. Every now and then it gets going enough to make one more lap around the house and dies again.
During the diagnosis I've been shocked by the gas pedal, the muffler and the spark plug wire. Seems like a short, right? But I can't find one. I've checked grounds and gone over the whole harness and can't find anything. The harness is 30 years old so it ain't pretty but it's ok.
Has anybody ever seen/heard of anything similar? Can anybody suggest something I've missed? I'm ready to order a new coil but the shocking pulse that KEEPS HITTING ME randomly has me confused.
cdcoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2016, 07:33 PM   #2
cdcoates
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Most unique G1 problem, no spark unless cover is closed ...

Update:
I've wrapped the bare end of a wire around the metal shield covering the end of the spark plug wire and grounded that directly to the negative battery terminal. Problem solved. I consider this a patch and not a real solution. Can anybody explain to me where they think the short is? I wonder if it's not inside the spark plug cap.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:35 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

7KA-82370. Still available, i think... I been doing a bit of thinking......
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:50 PM   #4
cdcoates
Not Yet Wild

Thanks CG. I wasn't sure if the whole coil was going bad or just the wire. I figured if the whole coil was bad the spark wouldn't be intermittent.

Tags
g one, short, spark
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha