lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2017, 04:19 PM   #1
pyro1955
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy 1997 G16 Newbie Input Shaft play

Just picked up a 97 G16 at an auction, drove it from the site about 1 mile, just about to the trailer rear end started making a little noise. I got it home and started investigating, gears look good, but there is a bit of play in the input shaft, hoping bearings and seals? Does the entire rear end have to come out to do this? Also any special tools I need to acquire for this?
pyro1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2017, 08:37 PM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: 1997 G16 Newbie Input Shaft play

Replacing the input shaft bearing and seal isn't a huge job, and the rear doesn't need to be removed. Pictures inside the trans in this thread. You'll need a puller to remove the secondary.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...placement.html
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:49 AM   #3
pyro1955
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply, I am glad I found this site, I have been reading lots of posts, which told me to check for play on the input shaft. Is the puller a special tool, or just a typical pulley puller? I have not found any special tool numbers to look for in particular. I have worked on many Quads and other off road equipment. I don't want to screw anything up.

Thanks again!

Never mind, i just found the "tool" to remove the secondary, ordering one now.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:38 AM   #4
Strongpersuader
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

As stated it's no a hard job and I'm a newbie believe me. I just had mine apart recently to change out a shift shaft. Pay attention to how many shims are at the end of the input shaft, don't loose any, mine only had one really thin shim, some have as many as three. Also, if someone used form a gasket or silicon and not the correct gasket it will not fit correctly. Can't remember the play tolerance in the shaft but it's not much. Good luck!
Strongpersuader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:43 AM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongpersuader View Post
As stated it's no a hard job and I'm a newbie believe me. I just had mine apart recently to change out a shift shaft. Pay attention to how many shims are at the end of the input shaft, don't loose any, mine only had one really thin shim, some have as many as three. Also, if someone used form a gasket or silicon and not the correct gasket it will not fit correctly. Can't remember the play tolerance in the shaft but it's not much. Good luck!
You did a great job on it
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:44 PM   #6
pyro1955
Not Yet Wild

I got it taken apart last night. There was only one shim, and i have it safely put away in order with the rest of the parts. The Outer bearing (the one in the part of the case that comes off) is definately bad, missing at least two of the balls... The inner one appears ok, but I have a new bearing. What is the best way to remove the inner bearing for replacement? I have not messed with it too much but I did try to pull it out with my fingers, hoping it would come, it did not appear to be that easy... had to try. Any ways, I would appreciate any info or suggestions on getting that one out to replace both. it is going to be fun to put it all back in...
Old 04-26-2017, 10:00 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Heat the other side of the case around the bearing with a propane torch (not too crazy). The expansion of the aluminum will let go of the bearing. Have the new bearing in the freezer & ready to quickly put in there while you are doing this to make it a easy one-time deal. I took a very large cotter pin & bent it up to make a springy puller for the bearing.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:46 AM   #8
Strongpersuader
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I believe you need to remove the spring and ball bearing that keeps tension on the shifter bar before you take apart/reassemble. Be sure to count the turns when taking it out as it has to go back in the same. (stubby flat head will do it). This is per the shop manual. Hate to see you get it back together and have issues and have to tear down again. It may not be a big deal if you got it apart without removing the spring, maybe someone can chime in with more knowledge on it.
Strongpersuader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:21 PM   #9
pyro1955
Not Yet Wild

I got it all back together, and realized I did not have the shifter pin back in the shifter rod correctly, so I did have to pull it back apart, luckily I figured it out before putting the oil back in... It turned out to not be too bad of a job, just lots of parts to keep track of. The cart runs great now, no noise in the rear end. Got lucky the previous owner did not run it too long. Now I have some electrical issues to fix, found a bad headlight, hope I can find a replacement bulb for it, do not want to have to change all the lights. And no power to the stereo, thinking of rewiring it all.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:02 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Most all the aftermarket head lights use the "H3 driving lamp" bulb.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha