lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #1
jacot23
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default My G2 Rebuild Project

History: I'm the fourth owner of this 1986 G2 Yamaha. I played a lot of golf with the two previous owners. During the summer of 2002 I bought it from owner number 3 for $350. 2005 I quit playing, gave up my club membership, brought the cart home, and left it parked outside. Leaving it outside was a huge mistake, but didn't really have a choice as I had no room until I built a garage last summer. My daughter(9) is showing a lot of interest in playing, so I'm motivated to get this thing back servicable.
I've removed the gas tank and pulled the old rusted fuel filter out; why on earth did they put that IN the tank?!!!

Good:

It runs with an external tank and electric fuel pump.
Compression 150, checked with an OLD gauge so may not be accurate.
New wheels and tires.

Bad:

Body and seats are in terrible shape.
Forget pulling a hill.
No key switch, #2 owner lost the key and cut the wires

I'm sure I'll have a billion questions so thanks ahead of time for any help!

Here's a couple to start:
1. Are the front cowl's salvagable?

2. I'd like a key switch so when I do get it back together the kids have to ask for a key to drive it. Does anyone think it my be as simple as buying a new one and plugging it in where the wires are cut?

All comments and suggestions are welcome.

jacot23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2017, 07:10 PM   #2
marks141
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: My G2 Rebuild Project

These are nice carts, but since they are older they are hard to find some parts. The engine looks great, everything is there. Seats get a fungus/mold on them, spray and scrub with bleach and after some use they will come clean. Check your frame under your battery and for your front cowl, it looks bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
marks141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:13 PM   #3
marks141
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Stronger secondary spring and a new belt will help you on the hills as long as your engine is running good. Doing these things will give you less top end speed but better hill climbing abilities. I would start with belt and go from there.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:43 PM   #4
jacot23
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Smile Re: My G2 Rebuild Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks141 View Post
These are nice carts, but since they are older they are hard to find some parts. The engine looks great, everything is there. Seats get a fungus/mold on them, spray and scrub with bleach and after some use they will come clean. Check your frame under your battery and for your front cowl, it looks bad.

Yeah the battery tray and the seat frame next to the battery are a rusted mess, not sure how to address that just yet; I think the frame underneath is ok, but will look closer. The front cowl's can be bought still but are very expensive, hopefully elbow grease and sandpaper will help the lower cowl at least.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 06-18-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
Freckles
Gone Wild

For your cowl and plastics, scrub with those S.O.S steel wool pads with the soap in them. Really made a huge difference on mine.
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:08 PM   #6
jacot23
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckles View Post
For your cowl and plastics, scrub with those S.O.S steel wool pads with the soap in them. Really made a huge difference on mine.
Marks101 is going to fix me up with cowls, but thanks for the tip.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:50 PM   #7
jacot23
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Question Re: My G2 Rebuild Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks141 View Post

Well that comment got to bugging me and I pulled the motor. Looks like the crossmember is bent. Does this look like I can clean it up and paint it to prevent further rusting? Looks like I'll have to pull the rear end as well and clean that part up too

What really scares me is that now that I went and pulled the engine I may be tempted to put a clone in it's place

Old 06-20-2017, 07:41 PM   #8
marks141
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Knock that tin plate out, just some small rivets holding it, I just stand on them.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #9
marks141
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Frame and everything looks great, some wire wheeling and paint and it should clean up nice!

Old 06-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #10
marks141
Gone Wild

Yamaha

How do your motor mounts look?

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha