lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2017, 08:53 AM   #1
cinejeff
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default looking for advice on G9 just started smoking

I am working on yet another friends G9 and could use some advice.

It runs but it started smoking something fierce. Wondering it is is time for a rebuild or maybe get lucky and something simple like pcv valve or head gasket.

The compression is 165psi. Valves set OK at .004 thousand, carb cleaned out, pvc cleaned out, changed oil with 1 qt. Oil was correct level but old oil seemed a little dark brown, milky and a little thin/gassy, but only slightly. No oil in air box or filter. I ran it for about 15 mins with new oil, still smokes about the same.

The cart runs good without airbox, but have to choke it about 50% with airbox on to get it to run as good. Smokes either way.

Do the head gaskets go on these? Is there a measurement I can take, or something that would indicate visually that its the rings with the head off before I pull the engine?

Just wondering where I should focus my energy next.
cinejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2017, 02:55 PM   #2
marks141
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: looking for advice on G9 just started smoking

Pull the muffler off and see if it continues to smoke, sometime oil can get in there. If it still smokes you may need some new rings and seals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
marks141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:31 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Or could be a over full oil condition, usually caused by a bad needle in the carb. I suggest changing the oil & refilling with one QT only, no more. And check inside the airbox for oil.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:07 PM   #4
marks141
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Looks like he did that already and all was good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
marks141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:15 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I only know the oil ring goes first and they start to smoke, this usually does not happen all at once. I guess it might but not in carts I have seen. Not sure what else would cause oil smoke other than oil in the airbox.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:05 AM   #6
cinejeff
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Here is a quick update. I pulled out the engine last night and pulled the head. I could see a little pool of oil sitting on top of the rings on the low end. The piston is stamped oversized .25mm but has about 2mm of gap side to side. I can "flop" the piston front and back about 1.5-2mm so I guess it is time for a rebore and new piston/rings. Does anyone know what the max oversized is for a G9 engine??? .5, .75, 1.00 ???
cinejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha