lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2018, 09:36 PM   #11
gened4288
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1999 TXT engine: repair, rebuilt, or clone swap?

Thanks for the input! I’ve got experience working on car & motorcycle engines, but this is my first cart adventure. It’s pretty much the same except I’ve never worked on an engine that didn’t have rod bearings. Thanks for the tip on using an old ring to check the bore.

I’ll look at the crank/rods/pistons after I get the bottom end torn down. If this is like any other engine I’ve worked on, as long as the pistons look good and aren’t scuffed, I would think they would be fine to reuse. Not too sure about the rods though...not having bearings on the big end concerns me. How would I know whether or not to replace them?

Thanks!
Gene
gened4288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2018, 07:58 AM   #12
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gened4288 View Post
Thanks for the input! I’ve got experience working on car & motorcycle engines, but this is my first cart adventure. It’s pretty much the same except I’ve never worked on an engine that didn’t have rod bearings. Thanks for the tip on using an old ring to check the bore.

I’ll look at the crank/rods/pistons after I get the bottom end torn down. If this is like any other engine I’ve worked on, as long as the pistons look good and aren’t scuffed, I would think they would be fine to reuse. Not too sure about the rods though...not having bearings on the big end concerns me. How would I know whether or not to replace them?

Thanks!
Gene
That's the $1,000,000 question! use old OEM rods or new China JUNK!

I used new on mine, but it had a rod knocking when I got it. been a year, so far so good?
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #13
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

When you remove the rod you will know by looking at it. I doubt it is bad and I had rather have the OEM rods than aftermarket. I mark them and put them back on same rod . Don't cross them up. Piece of cake

I normally use the same piston and rods. Install new seal and gasket set, rings, intake valves , timing belt and put it back together. Lap all four valves until you have a thin line in the middle of valve and they will be seated.

Unless it has been run without oil the case bearings should be good.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:10 PM   #14
gened4288
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
When you remove the rod you will know by looking at it. I doubt it is bad and I had rather have the OEM rods than aftermarket. I mark them and put them back on same rod . Don't cross them up. Piece of cake

I normally use the same piston and rods. Install new seal and gasket set, rings, intake valves , timing belt and put it back together. Lap all four valves until you have a thin line in the middle of valve and they will be seated.

Unless it has been run without oil the case bearings should be good.
Thanks! If the bottom end looks as good as the top end, I’d definitely rather use the stock pistons & rods rather than Chinese stuff. I checked the EZGO website and it doesn’t look like they still offer replacement rods & pistons for this engine. I hadn’t even thought about the timing belt, thanks for mentioning it!

Gene
Old 10-22-2018, 02:12 PM   #15
gened4288
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well, I finally had time to pull the rest of the engine apart. Aside from there being a nasty layer of silver-ish "slime" on the bottom of the crankcase, it doesn't look too bad. I'm hoping the "slime" is from normal wear and tear and not anything major.

The only cross-hatch left in the bores is beneath where the piston normally travels. I don't have a cylinder bore gauge, only a digital caliper. Using the caliper, the bore at the top is within spec with no noticeable ridge. The ring end gap is greater than spec, I'm not sure if that's due to ring wear or bore wear. The crank looks good and using the caliper, it's within spec. I do plan to polish the crank. Rods so have some marks where the crank rotates, but nothing major. Pistons show minor scuff wear on the skirts.

The question is, should I just hone it and slap in a set of rings and intake valves or go the whole rebuild route (pistons, rods, etc.). I called a machine shop today, they want $100 to bore and hone the block. Is it worth it? All ideas and suggestions welcome!

Thanks!
Gene
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5206.JPG (90.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5210.JPG (119.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5213.JPG (94.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-23-2018, 08:10 PM   #16
gened4288
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thoughts?
Old 10-23-2018, 09:21 PM   #17
dirtyyoda77
Gone Wild

Club Car

Id just bore it and throw it back together

id have the machine shop do a valve job on it you could probably lap the valves yourself but nothing comes close to a good valve job plus its a lot easier on the valve train having the right angles on everything
dirtyyoda77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:58 PM   #18
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Put rings in it and put it back together. Make sure you use a good engine rebuild lube. I use Ultra Slick Engine Assembly . Make sure you use it in oil pump gears. At least that's what I would do.

You said your bore was good when we talked. At least I think you are the person who I talked to.

I know it's a tough call when spending your money on how much to put in this engine. These things are pretty tough.

It you are worried about those rods then buy some plastigauge. Just google it and you will get the idea how to use it.

Lap those valves in head and you should get a fine line in middle of valve. That will tell you they will seat.
You do know how to set the tension on timing belt ? Tom
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:20 AM   #19
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Think it would be a waist of time and money to bore it, no need to.

I would just do rings, valves and valve seals.
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO