lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2019, 04:20 PM   #1
OilfieldHand
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy OBC gets hot, cart stops, OBC cools, carts runs again. ???

I'm new here to this forum, so sorry if i posted this in the wrong category. I'm hoping someone can please help me fix my issue. I have a 2008 Club Car Precedent 48 volt. I have put four new batteries and all new cables. When purchased, i was informed that the motor was rebuilt due to the cart being pulled with the switch still in "Run". After replacing batteries, cart ran fine without any issues. Here lately, while riding cart with 4 adults, batteries at full charge, cart will start to slow down quickly then just stop. I have found that at this point, the aluminum housing around the black OBC box under the seat behind the batteries is VERY HOT. If i narrow the occupancy down to one, the cart will run again but not at full capacity. If i let aluminum housing around black OBC box cool down, cart will run just fine again with 4 passengers until it gets VERY hot again, and shut down. If anyone has come across this problem before, PLEASE inform me of the issue you had or is anyone can help figure out the problem i am having, please advise as to how fix problem. I'm tired of riding for a short period of time, cart shutdown in from of strange campers and let cool before running again. THANKS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (10.6 KB, 0 views)
OilfieldHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
yensidcamper
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: OBC gets hot, cart stops, OBC cools, carts runs again. ???

Did you upgrade the size of the cables? Did you by pass the OBC with the new cables or did you run the new ones through the OBC? Did you connect the new cables to the cable running through the OBD?
yensidcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:10 PM   #3
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

More than likely the controller is overheating. What kind of conditions are you driving under. Steep hills I'm betting. Might be time for an Alltrax controller.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:26 AM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Plain and simple, heat is caused by resistance. First thing I would do is ensure all of my cables are tightly secured on every battery, then at the solenoid posts, then at the controller, and lastly at the motor. Something is allowing it to heat up unless the resistance is just you overloading the cart and driving really slow with too many people on board. Sepex carts do no like slow and heavy in a stock format.

If after you do all this and if you still have a heating problem, get you a $20 IR gun from Harbor Freight and when it does it again, shoot all the areas I identified above and it will reveal where the problem area is. If it is a cable, replace it, if it is your controller, you may be close to a failure, if it is the motor, you are overloading it or to heavy and too slow.....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:10 AM   #5
OilfieldHand
Not Yet Wild

yensidcamper: All I did was replace the cables for the batteries themselves with the same size cables that were already on the batteries. Size upgrade, not sure.

WalterM6: Driving conditions: flat ground at RV parks.

NoleFan4Ever: I have already checked ALL me connections from the batteries to the controller to the motor, all good. Solenoid posts: don't remember seeing a solenoid. Most of the time we are carrying 4 adults at a slow speed (riding in-laws around, wife don't want me going too fast with her parents on board). This has also happened with myself and 5 small kids on board. I will purchase a IR gun and check everything you have listed. Hopefully I can find issue soon.

Thank ya'll for all the input.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:20 AM   #6
yensidcamper
Getting Wild
Club Car

I was thinking the cable connections might be poor but since you checked them and there wasn't any need to bypass the OBC it probably isn't in the wiring. However, I have read on here where some new wires had poor lug connections. Nole Fan, as usual, has put you on the right track.
yensidcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #7
OilfieldHand
Not Yet Wild

After doing more research on my issue. It appears that my controller is what's heating the aluminum box that I am finding that gets extremely hot. Should I go back with factory sized controller or go with a higher amperage controller? if i go with higher amperage controller without changing anything else, will that cause damage to anything else? Any suggestions?
Old 03-17-2019, 07:10 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

This https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...roller-300-amp is an OEM replacement which upgrades you with more amperage and speed while providing you user adjustability and troubleshooting capabilities through the Alltrax Tool kit. As a 300a model, your can run you other factory equipment with not other upgrades required.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:35 PM   #9
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here's another thing to check. To make sure the brakes aren't dragging try to push the cart on level ground. You should be able to push it easily with one hand. When you get the IR Gun check the brake drum temps also.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:35 AM   #10
OilfieldHand
Not Yet Wild

Nolefan4ever: Will i need to change out anything else if I replace my controller with the one you advised?

WalterM6: Just out of curiosity, what does the brakes have to do with my issue? By all means, not trying to be a smart*** or anything.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car