lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2021, 08:40 PM   #1
Ttuite
Not Yet Wild

Default DS rear brake drum will not go back on

Changed rear brake on 1999 DS. Star is wound all the he way in. Drum will not fit on. Shoes look identical and the star wound in a good 1/8 inch or more. Any idea?
Ttuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2021, 10:12 PM   #2
anpgator
Getting Wild

Default Re: DS rear brake drum will not go back on

Can you post a pic of the installed shoes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anpgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:46 PM   #3
Mbop
Getting Wild

Star

Talking Re: DS rear brake drum will not go back on

I hate to ask but is the parking brake engage? I’ve never done that personally.

The shoes will also slide up and down a bit within the assembly. Do they appear centered when you attempt to put the drum on? I’m sure you’ve already checked both of these but thought I would throw it out there.

Also, make sure the plate that the threaded bolt in the star pushes out on is set within the channel. If it’s not this would make the shoes as if the brakes were engaged.
Mbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:21 AM   #4
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

The brake shoes are not identical, you have a leading and trailing shoe. If you mix them up one drum will go on the other not - been there, done that.

See attached for specifics.

Brake.JPG
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:13 AM   #5
CustomCurt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMJ View Post
The brake shoes are not identical, you have a leading and trailing shoe. If you mix them up one drum will go on the other not - been there, done that.

See attached for specifics.

Attachment 219094
for the d/s with manual adjusting brakes, if you notice in the diagram where the 17t is stamped looking at the shoe from the top it is shaped like a t and the bottom is shaped like a v, just found one the other day and the brakes were terrible, sat there studying it and then I noticed one shoe was upside down and rubbed on the adjuster block, before I fixed it the cart was hard to roll even with the adjuster backed all the way off and had hardly any brakes, when I fixed it the cart was effortless to push and had brakes that would stop you on a dime
CustomCurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:17 AM   #6
Ttuite
Not Yet Wild

Thank you so much for all of the help. The problem is that they sent me 4 17L’s. Fortunately I left the left side alone and was working on the right (pax) side. The shoes are only about 1/2 worn so I will put the old ones back on. Nice to see I haven’t gone crazy yet!

This is an interesting rebuild for me. I am rebuilding up from the bottom. Bushings, new body, etc. I have worked on my cars for years but never a golf cart. This website and YouTube have been extremely helpful in helping me discover problems and fixes. For example the lights were only wired to 8 volts. Putting a reducer on soon to get the 12 volts.
Ttuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car