lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2021, 07:57 AM   #1
superfan86
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default 96 Club Car DS vs 05 EXGO TXT

I currently have a 36v TXT Freedom EXGO. Lifted, speed chip and regen. Great cart. Reliable. I know how to work on it. We get about 5-6 miles of range at about 14 MPH with 1 year old batteries., but we are pushing the limits with it where we want to go, esp as the batteries age.

Someone is selling a 96 DS 48v cart I could "upgrade" to for about $500, but I don't know much the DS carts. The "A96" Serial and battery layout tells me it is a 48v and it is a Sepex?

It has brand new batteries and he says it needs a speed sensor, but still drives?

Is this a good upgrade for our family? Our desired gains are:
1) Want something that goes at least as fast as what we have now
2) Adding at least 2 miles of range
3) Similar reliability to current cart
superfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2021, 08:44 AM   #2
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 96 Club Car DS vs 05 EXGO TXT

Selling for about $500 or you'd have to put about $500 in it? If they are selling it for $500 I'd grab it and see what you think. I wouldn't pass it up if it is only $500!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:59 AM   #3
superfan86
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
Selling for about $500 or you'd have to put about $500 in it? If they are selling it for $500 I'd grab it and see what you think. I wouldn't pass it up if it is only $500!
I could sell my cart for $3k. He is asking $3500.

I only paid $1700 for my cart, so I have the flipper bug in me... lol
Old 06-07-2021, 09:55 AM   #4
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Seems to have the Forward/Reverse lever which would make it a Series cart. Not sure what he means by needing a new Speed Sensor, there isn't one on a Series cart.

Grab it!!!!

Sent using Tapatalk
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:36 AM   #5
superfan86
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMJ View Post
Seems to have the Forward/Reverse lever which would make it a Series cart. Not sure what he means by needing a new Speed Sensor, there isn't one on a Series cart.

Grab it!!!!

Sent using Tapatalk
I thought series carts had a wire from each battery to the motor?

Is series obsolete as a people mover?
Old 06-08-2021, 02:44 AM   #6
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfan86 View Post
I thought series carts had a wire from each battery to the motor?

Is series obsolete as a people mover?
No, that's not how a Series cart is wired.

Not sure what you mean by "obsolete". Older technology yes, but I have two that run at 24 MPH.

You may be thinking about earlier installations without controllers.

Sent using Tapatalk
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 04:31 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

IMO aside from being 25 years old, that DS looks pretty beat up for $3500. Looks like it has some shiny new wheels and stuff but to me, looks like lipstick on a pig. The wiring is a mess, battery tie downs are missing, seats worn, body scratched and beat up, etc. I doubt anything has been upgraded “under the hood”. That’s a series cart so there’s no regen and no speed sensor, if they’re saying the speed sensor is bad then I’d think there’s something else going on. There’s not much to these electronically, but what is there is fairly pricey. Controller, motor, FNR switch. Not sure if 96 used a MCOR or V-glide. I don’t see a v-glide there so probably an old mcor (maybe that’s what they mean by speed sensor?)

Those carts stock will do around 12-14mph on flat pavement. Get to a hill or in grass they slow to a crawl. Until you upgrade motor/controller/etc. very reliable carts though. But for $3500 I think you could do better.

That said, only getting 5-6 miles on a charge doesn’t seem right to me on 1 year old batteries. What kind of batteries are they? Maybe better to do some diagnostics and fix your cart. There’s no reason at all you shouldn’t be getting twice that. Even my current DS before I switched to the lithium kit, I could get 15 miles on a charge with 4x12v batteries and still have 70%+ remaining.

Also maybe the ezgo guys can correct me, but I believe a freedom should do around 19mph on stock tires. More with larger wheels and tires. There may be something wrong with your cart…
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:39 AM   #8
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What he said. I think that analysis is spot on.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:39 AM   #9
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree on EzGo having issues. Even when my DS was 36v and had the original resistor coils I had way better range than 5-6 miles (no hills on pavement). As for pricing that is a lot but the used cart market, or any other toy, is insane right now with high prices and I’m sure in FL you would see something similar to that price.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:03 PM   #10
superfan86
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
IMO aside from being 25 years old, that DS looks pretty beat up for $3500. Looks like it has some shiny new wheels and stuff but to me, looks like lipstick on a pig. The wiring is a mess, battery tie downs are missing, seats worn, body scratched and beat up, etc. I doubt anything has been upgraded “under the hood”. That’s a series cart so there’s no regen and no speed sensor, if they’re saying the speed sensor is bad then I’d think there’s something else going on. There’s not much to these electronically, but what is there is fairly pricey. Controller, motor, FNR switch. Not sure if 96 used a MCOR or V-glide. I don’t see a v-glide there so probably an old mcor (maybe that’s what they mean by speed sensor?)

Those carts stock will do around 12-14mph on flat pavement. Get to a hill or in grass they slow to a crawl. Until you upgrade motor/controller/etc. very reliable carts though. But for $3500 I think you could do better.

That said, only getting 5-6 miles on a charge doesn’t seem right to me on 1 year old batteries. What kind of batteries are they? Maybe better to do some diagnostics and fix your cart. There’s no reason at all you shouldn’t be getting twice that. Even my current DS before I switched to the lithium kit, I could get 15 miles on a charge with 4x12v batteries and still have 70%+ remaining.

Also maybe the ezgo guys can correct me, but I believe a freedom should do around 19mph on stock tires. More with larger wheels and tires. There may be something wrong with your cart…
That is interesting. I used to have 10+ miles of range last year with new batteries, but after the winter we noticed a significant drop. I just assumed it was degradation, but the volate on the pack is still excellent.

I have a jumper to reduce top speed from 19mph and enhance the regen, so top speed was up there originally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Daddy View Post
I agree on EzGo having issues. Even when my DS was 36v and had the original resistor coils I had way better range than 5-6 miles (no hills on pavement). As for pricing that is a lot but the used cart market, or any other toy, is insane right now with high prices and I’m sure in FL you would see something similar to that price.
I went out last night and put the cart in diagnostic mode and it is indeed throwing an error. 2-1

might have just saved myself a new cart (not sure if this is good or not lol)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car