lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Default workhorse backfiring thru carb

I have a 02 workhorse 350cc that is backfiring thru the carb. Valves are adjusted properly, new NGK plugs, new plug wires, new carb, 180psi of compression. I can not locate a leak down tester 2 use.

It backfires the most at startup and every now and then at full throttle. I checked timing and all is good, belt in good shape, full of clean oil. I am stumped.

I am thinking that the intakes valves are toast causing the issue. Is there anything else i need to check b4 i pull the head.

thanks in advance.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
morepower
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: workhorse backfiring thru carb

I had a similar problem and set valve lash 3 times before the condition got better. I have adjusted valves all my life and never seen anything as touchy as this robin. You might run them again!
morepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

I have tried setting the valves about 20 times and still nothing.

I went ahead and pulled the head. the valves were dirty and the head bolts were finger tight. I did find a place in the headgasket where it looked like it was blown. Any way replaced all valves, seated valves in head, new gaskets and cart still runs like crap on first crank. it doesn't matter what we do it still runs like poo.

does anybody have any other recommendations on what it could be?
Old 07-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

What about the pickup coil being bad and causing this issue at low RPM's.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:19 AM   #5
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Don't know if this helps but I had a similar prob. with my own workhorse. Under acc. on the low end it popped and sputtered. You could feather the throttle and get movin but that was the only way. My problem was a bad ignition coil. I went through a known good coil off another cart and still wouldn't work. Turns out I had a bad grounding conn. at the coil and a bad ignition coil. It definitely sounds like your problem is pointing to a spark issue. Whether the pulsar, igniter, coil or connection. Do some thread searches on pulsar and coil testing and do some backtracking. For future reference, 180 is great comp. on that engine so a head gasket can usually be ruled out. Might save some time in the future.. Good Luck!
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

I knew 180 was great, but i wanted to verify that the intake valves were not worn. I showed the gasket to my engine builder and he verified that the engine had been run hot and it was having blowby. He has seen it hundreds of times on the robins engine and more on the kaw cc engine. He worked for cc for 15+ years and yamaha for 10+ years, ezgo for about 5+ b4 he retired.

I also swapped coils and the cart ran the same, i put his coil on the donor cart and it ran perfect. Due to the customer rushing me and wanting the cart for this weekend i did not get a chance to fully inspec the terminals on the ignitor. He didn;t want to leave it with me.

I did find the fan full of dirt, cooling fin full of drt. this engine has been overheated more than once. That was the reason of the finger tight head bolts. I am doin some searching on here to try and narrow down the issues, but it hard when the customer has the cart. lol
Old 07-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
divot61
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

adjust the throtle screw till the butterfly in the carb closes all the way, that should take care of the backfires
divot61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

I took the throttle screw completely out so the throttle closes. Even did that on the new carb i installed.

I did talk to the customer this morning and he stated when first cranked its does not do it as bad, just that the hotter it gets the worse it gets.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

These things have a mind of their own sometimes....
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:17 PM   #10
lyoho1
Not Yet Wild

It doesn't seem that anyone knows why this engine backfires thru the carby. I overhauled the motor and now it acts crappy as anything i have ever worked on. What causes this backfiring. ios thee another motor out there which will swap out. who ever designed this ignition system need to see a shrink.
lyoho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO