lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
firemedic898
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Cargo bed review? Plastic or metel?

Hi guys, I’m a new EZGO owner. I’m still reading many forums concerning motor, controller, battery ect. upgrades to familiarize myself with the basics. For now, I am starting out with questions concerning the other parts. I will be using the cart for off road/hunting purposes and will need a cargo box for the back. The two beds I’ve narrowed down are the molded plastic cargo bed and the steel cargo bed. My question is: Do you have the plastic or steel cargo bed and if so, what are characteristics you like/dislike about it. Examples such as durability, quietness, pay load, rust issues ect. Thanks in advance for the guidance.
firemedic898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
firemedic898
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cargo bed review? Plastic or metel?

Also, the price is not relevant. I can get the steel cargo box with tailgate for about $290 and the plastic for around $350, so there is not a huge price difference. I just want the best quality bed. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Plastic is the better choice. 1. It is lighter and electric vehicle performance is a weight to hp ratio where weight is critical to the equation. 2. they do not rust or peel paint. Aluminum is an option, too
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
FireGuy 74
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I haven't had the plastic type but I did have an aluminum one. It's was crazy noisy, I'm sure they've made improvements in the tailgate latches in the last 5 years but that's my experience. I would think the plastic would be quieter all around, like when you're driving through the woods and your stuff is bouncing around in the back.

I currently have the steel mesh type box on mine and it works great for me. But, obviously you're limited to what you can haul because of the expanded metal.
FireGuy 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
firemedic898
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the quick responses. I veered away from the aluminum mainly because it was bright, diamond plate, and I really just didn’t like the look. The steel box I’m considering has flexible rubber latches for a “more secure and quiet tailgate closure”. I’m just not sure what gauge the metal is and if it’s going deteriorate on me via rust and weak metal.

The molded plastic does seem like a better choice, I was just wondering if anyone had first had experience with them. Thanks again for the quick responses.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would go plastic due to the noise. I have a metal front basket and ended up lining it with an old rubber mat. The problem was on bumpy hunting trails anything hard, like buckles on packs made noise against the steel mesh. Even if the tailgate on the steel one secures tight any gear loose in it will bang around.

I have a plastic box on the back and did not have to do anything to it to keep it quiet.
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO