lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #51
YourCustomCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rebuilt my 87 EZGO Engine, still having issues, please help!!!

Woo hoo! My 2pg runs perfectly! The thread retap worked perfectly. I can finally look eye to eye with anyone who has rebuilt and 2-stroke engine. ;)

I'm still a little concerned that my cart is very slow. The engine revenue up just fine, and all the way, but my top speed is really lacking. What should I look into to improve this?
YourCustomCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #52
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

YCC,

THAT IS FRIGGIN AWSOME!! Welcome to the Rebuilders Club!!

About the speed, you can disable the Gov. bigger tires~you loose take off power~, NOS! That is all i can think of. I have 22 inch tires on my cart, and i go SCARY FAST!! Have not GPSed it yet, but it is faster than I want to go!!

Remember, i think like 10-12 MPH is normal for these things, they are not Formula 1 race cars~~~at least stock. They can be with some help!!

Jon
EZ-GoingJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #53
SamCarroll
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

i've GPS'd mine on the original tires and smaller belt @ 18mph. Im curious to see what ill get after the bigger tires.
SamCarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #54
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

my 2PG will hold at 21mph with 22" tires on level ground, and that's with the governor still working (although it's set pretty much right AT factory redline) ... I can honestly say that I don't think I'd WANT to go much faster, given the steering ratio on these things and the top-heavy nature of a lifted cart
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #55
SamCarroll
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

as long as i can move freely on sand in Pismo this upcoming month, ill be really happy.
SamCarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #56
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

YCC, Did you install one of those nice rev counters that we have all talked about. If not then I recommend you do so in order to see if you are really getting the best out of your engine. Flat out you should be aiming for 4 to 5 thousand rpm with 5000 being the maximum. If you are not getting there you need to look at your govenor. If you are the only driver then just disconnect it, if you have kids or drunken friends then adjust it. In addition (and I am too lazy to read this entire post) if you have not bbq'ed your muffler do it now. With the standard 18 " tires you should be good for the high teens in mph and with 22 " tires 22+mph.
Anyway welcome to the club, you can hold your head up high and say I built this.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:30 AM   #57
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Hello all, Noob here (so be kind) and I know this is an old thread but I want to Thank y'all very much for the great info. I too will be rebuilding a 2PG in my 85 Marathon as I just noticed (while removing the clutch) that the crank has a tremendous amount of play obviously due to worn out bearings, Strangely it still runs pretty healthy though. Can't believe the seals are still doing their job lol.

Although it still has pretty good compression at 115lbs I'm going to do a complete rebuild while I'm at it, It doesn't cost that much more for a new jug & slug.

One question;
Are the bearings pressed onto the crank too? I read they're pressed into the cases so I wouldn't think they were but just trying to pre-plan what I'll be up against, Thanks in advance.
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:38 PM   #58
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Dabble Inn

The bearings are pressed on to the crankshaft. Get them close, and then pull the cases together with the bolts. 120 psi compression is what a new engine runs.

I would suggest starting a new thread for any questions. This one is way too long.

You will also be needing this manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:45 AM   #59
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Dabble Inn

The bearings are pressed on to the crankshaft. Get them close, and then pull the cases together with the bolts. 120 psi compression is what a new engine runs.

I would suggest starting a new thread for any questions. This one is way too long.

You will also be needing this manual.
Thanks for the reply and the manual link, Super helpful. I guess I won't have to worry about getting the old bearings off the crank since I'm ordering a new one anyway, But was hoping they'd slip on.... I'll start a new thread on the rebuild as soon as I get started on it, Thanks
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
87 ezgo, engine rebuild, low power, performance, won't run
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO