lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
Yel71
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 91 marathon no spark.

Will it make a difference on the spark if the voltage regulator is bad?
Yel71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The voltage regulator is only for the charging circuit- so it doesn't do anything while the engine is cranking and trying to start.

Did you also replace the stock coil with the hei coil? If not, I would say that the coil is bad.

You could also try reversing the red/blue pulser leads that plug into the ignition module.

Check the pulser wires to be sure they aren't grounding out where they stick through the hole in the block behind the flywheel (wiggle them/manipulate those wires while cranking and see if you get a better spark).
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
Yel71
Not Yet Wild

I did replace the coil and I have tested the pulser and it seems to be working. I checked it at the engine and all seems to be ok. I also tried reversing the wires with no luck.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #14
gwbrehm
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Just a thought, when I did my HEI conversion I made a couple of mistakes and mine wouldn't work either. Make sure you have 12v going to the correct side of the coil and 12v going to the HEI module. Also, make sure you have the HEI module grounded. My coil was marked + and -, some of them aren't and you have to figure out the polarity. Once I straightened out the wiring mine ran great.
gwbrehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #15
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

My HEI coil has two pairs of male spade terminals. One pair has a plastic knob rising up between the pair of terminals. I used one of those terminals (with the plastic knob between them) for the positive, and used one of the terminals on the opposite side for the negative (which goes directly to the HEI module).

I used heavy (12 gauge) wire. It is possible that small wire (18-20 gauge) might be too small to carry enough current for the module to work properly.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #16
gwbrehm
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm not sure which side is which, go back to the sticky and scroll down. Someone posted a picture of their coil (with double terminals) and shows which side is positive and negative.
gwbrehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #17
Yel71
Not Yet Wild

I looked at the sticky and have my coil wired like y'all do. I have my igniter mounted to a piece of aluminum to help dissipate heat so I added a ground wire to make sure it was grounded. Is it possible for the pulser to test ok but not transmit the signal like it should?
Old 10-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #18
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

VERY possible - I had a pulsar that ohmed out dead on at 150 but was actually shot. The *best* test for a pulsar isn't ohms anyhow, the readings can range wildly amongst good pulsars. Try hooking your meter to the pulsar wires at the lowest AC setting, then turn the cart over - a good pulsar will give you a 1 -1.5vac reading while the motor is spinning. No AC = no signal from the pulsar
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #19
Yel71
Not Yet Wild

I checked mine and its at about 1/2 a volt. It's bad?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:14 AM   #20
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yel- I also only get about half a volt and my cart runs well with the HEI ignition module.

I think my cheap digital multimeter has trouble displaying the maximum voltage accurately since it is a momentary pulse and it takes the meter a few milliseconds to respond.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO