lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Default 98 EZGO loose steering

Guys, for some timenow my 98 TXT has had quite a bit of play in the steering. So much so that the cart tends to wander all over the road. I have checked the obvious, ball joints, tie rods etc. I even started at the wheels shaking thing trying to find the loose component but everything is tight except for at the steering box itself. I can move the steering wheel 2-3 inches left or right before the wheels even start to turn. I have checked the toe in and even replaced both tie rods last year. Ive dealt with it all this time but now that I have completed my clone engine swap I reallyneed to get this thing under control because its just too dangerous with the added power and speed. Ive read posts where the steering rack and pinions can be replaced but it looks like quite a difficult job. How hard is it to remove the entire steering box and replace it with a new one? I can buy a new steering box on ebay for $238. Thats not much more than buying all the individual parts to rebuild it, plus if its easier to remove and replace than it would be to repair then the time and effort saved would be worth the added cost. Any thoughts?
beachcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
mcdave71
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 98 EZGO loose steering

I think it's worth the effort to replace it as an assembly if you can. Makes it a simple R&R procedure then. No worries of trying to make used parts mesh with new. You'll be happier in the long run with a whole assembly.
mcdave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
beachcarter
Gone Wild

I removed my steering box and remove the rack gear. It doesnt look worn at all. Since I have the new one obviously im going to install the new one but now I dont know what is causingmy loose steering problem. Ive read that a majority of the time only the rack gear needs to be replaced and not the pinoin. I inspected the pinion gear when I removed the box and it looked fine so I only ordered rack gear and purchased a pickle fork to separate the ball joint from the pitman arm. I removed the rack gear today and found it in good shape. Any ideas what could be causing the loose steering?
beachcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
oneroadkingman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

when u inspected the gears are they pointy shaped or thick and flat?
there are brass bushings in he pitman arm u need to replace them also.
oneroadkingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:36 AM   #5
crash test dummy

my girlfriends ezgo was like that ... turned out to be the king pin bolts in the spindles were loose
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO