lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
josephBus1
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 EZGO gas intermittent starting after stop

1) Recently cart would RARELY start...Battery, wire contacts OK, but discovered SG
( starter / generator ) brushes had a "dead spot" where if the belt was turned to spin the brushes the cart would start...

2) installed new brushes & cart has been starting, working OK for over a month...

3) Now the cart will take ~ 1/2 min to start, runs OK, BUT if stop the cart won't start !
If I wait for, say 5 min or more, the cart then starts...

Is it possible that SG armature ( internal SG part that mates with brushes ) ALSO has a "dead spot" , or would you look elsewhere for this intermittent...

Appreciate your ideas, Joseph
josephBus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
ttcfan4476
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Check the fusible link from the battery to the solenoid. That's what caused my problem.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
ttcfan4476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
mcdave71
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 97 EZGO gas intermittent starting after stop

You say it wont start, do you mean it turns over but not firing or not turning over?
mcdave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
josephBus1
Not Yet Wild

Thank You, McDave71,
You've got me thinking in right direction...
Turns over, but won't fire...
Ignitor? If so, what does it look like / where is it ?....
If other, appreciate your ideas...Thanks again, JosephBus1
Old 10-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
mcdave71
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When it's doing this pull plug wire and use screwdriver to put in the end to check for spark. Sounds like the carb might be flooding out when you have it turned off. If you have spark, then I would check needle and seat in float bowl.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
josephBus1
Not Yet Wild

Thank You ttcfan4476 for your msg:
"Check the fusible link from the battery to the solenoid. That's what caused my problem. "
Yes , now understand that possibility..Will a simple continuity check from battery (-) to solenoid terminal suffice ? If that's the problem, where can I find a Battery cable having a fusible link?
Folks at BuggiesGoneWild couldn't find in their inventory...Thanks again, Joseph
Old 10-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
josephBus1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks McDave71 for: "When it's doing this pull plug wire and use screwdriver to put in the end to check for spark. Sounds like the carb might be flooding out when you have it turned off. If you have spark, then I would check needle and seat in float bowl."...Yes, Thanks...
Do I need to ground other end of screwdriver metal ?...Also am I looking for an unseated needle valve in float bowl ?...This is my time-of-life that I should have taken auto shop...Joseph
Old 10-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
josephBus1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks all 4 Ur help...So Far:
1)Testing Fusible Link: no fusible link in (-) battery path to gnd. About 3-5 ohms between (-) terminal & gnd...
2) Spark Test : No spark when test spark plug ( putting spark wire to another good plug w/ plug grnded & strtrGen turning )...
3) Testing Ignition Coil:

A) Primary coil test: wire terminals read ~ 3.5 ohms, " S/B between 3.7-5.2 ohms" per EZGO /Textron repair & Svc manual...My VOM is walmart cheepo so I suppose this is a pass ?

B) Secondary coil test: either getting open ckt OR not getting a reading.
When the VOM terminals are pushed down into the secondary ignition coil openings, EITHER
the VOM terminals aren't touching wires (i.e., GETTING NO READING) or I AM getting reading of open ckt ( S/B between 10 - 17 K ohms)....CORRECTION! I DIDN'T HAVE THE VOM SET TO PROPER OHM SELECT..SHOULD BE SET ON K OHMS...more manana

That's where I'm at so far...Punt?...Thx again 4 Ur help, Joseph

Last edited by josephBus1; 10-30-2013 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: corrections
Old 10-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
mcdave71
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Grab a phillips screw driver and put up in the end where the plug goes. Hold the shaft of the screwdriver pretty close to metal without you touching the shaft of the screwdriver with your hand. Unless you like a little shock.. Good spark should be able to jump around 1/8" or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephBus1 View Post
Thanks McDave71 for: "When it's doing this pull plug wire and use screwdriver to put in the end to check for spark. Sounds like the carb might be flooding out when you have it turned off. If you have spark, then I would check needle and seat in float bowl."...Yes, Thanks...
Do I need to ground other end of screwdriver metal ?...Also am I looking for an unseated needle valve in float bowl ?...This is my time-of-life that I should have taken auto shop...Joseph
Old 11-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
josephBus1
Not Yet Wild

You said: " Grab a phillips screw driver and put up in the end where the plug goes. Hold the shaft of the screwdriver pretty close to metal without you touching the shaft of the screwdriver with your hand. Unless you like a little shock.. Good spark should be able to jump around 1/8" or so"....
Thanks mcDave71, for that clarification. Did that test & no spark...
1================================================= ================
I checked opening of carburetor...Needle Valve & air flap appears intact...
2================================================= ================
Your thought on: Testing ( & Retesting ! ) Ignition Coil ?

A) Primary coil test: wire terminals read ~ 3.5 ohms, " S/B between 3.7-5.2 ohms" per EZGO /Textron repair & Svc manual...My VOM is walmart cheepo so I suppose this is a pass ?

B) Secondary coil test: either getting open ckt OR not getting a reading.
When the VOM terminals are pushed down into the secondary ignition coil openings, with VOM leads inside touching a central post ( assumed to be ends of secondary coil )...EITHER the VOM terminals aren't touching wires (i.e., GETTING NO READING) or I AM getting reading of open ckt ( S/B between 10 - 17 K ohms)...

I tested on all OHM Scales from 2oo to 2000K ohms, got no reading. Would that suggest a failed coil ?
If you think that's a valid test, where do I look to replace? How & Where?
3============================================
Thx again, JosephBus1

Tags
after stop, intermittent start
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO