lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2014, 02:08 PM   #11
silverlinedan
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Starter problem for 2001 G-16A

And yet another update, sorry, I will wait to post in the future until later in my repairs. I drove the cart around for 10 minutes and the starter/generator was too hot to touch. For now, I have parked this cart until I figure it out.
silverlinedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2014, 10:09 AM   #12
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You said you got the new starter/gen from NAPA. Sounds like maybe you didn't get the exact replacement starter/gen. Is that a possibility?? As far as the new starter/gen getting hot, your voltage regulator may be bad causing full field and maximum charging current into the battery 100% of the time. In fact, that may be why the old one failed. I would start by making sure you got the correct starter/gen. RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #13
silverlinedan
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Ray. I called Yamaha dealer in Spokane to make sure that I had wired the starter correctly. After talking to them, they suspected that I had a defective starter or wrong starter too. So I called NAPA, they checked into it, and offered me a return. They suggested to try switching wires on A1 and A2 on regulator. Told them I would try if they would take back starter if it got destroyed in the process. They said they would.

I had suspected that the regulator was problem all along as I measured the OHMS at 6.5 to 8.5. So I had ordered a new one and it arrived yesterday and I replaced it. It all worked. The starter is not getting too hot, the charge voltage at battery is normal, OHMS at regulator is 3.4, and it runs good. And best thing is maintenance man is happy to have his baby back. Thanks for all your help!
silverlinedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha