lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2016, 11:08 PM   #1
taterm6x
Not Yet Wild

Default 95 ezgo motor problem

Here's the deal...Just picked up a 95 ezgo with a bad motor. This is a series cart according to my research here. (no motor in the cart when i got it, supposedly diagnosed bad at a shop) I am currently building an 05 txt (pds) from ground up and happen to have that motor as a spare.

I thought that a pds motor could go in a non pds cart but not visa versa.

Got it all hooked up, hit the gas and....a creep. forward, reverse, barely moves under its own power. I've got 36v no load. 35 full load. if i jack the rear up and spin the tires up the motor is struggling. Sounds as though the brushes are rubbing the outer area of the motor and not free floating, like things aren't meshed up right.

This motor ran fine before i disassembled my txt a month ago. its been sitting on the shelf since. I have flipped it on each side when cleaning the dirt off of it.

any suggestions or am I way off here? Thanks.
taterm6x is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2016, 07:17 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 95 ezgo motor problem

your problem is you put a PDS motor in a SERIES cart......
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:35 AM   #3
taterm6x
Not Yet Wild

Yeah...I swear I read I could do that. but why the scrub noise? Is it maybe firing out of sequence or something?
Old 03-31-2016, 07:49 AM   #4
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've never heard of that before.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:37 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

To paraphrase Rudyard Kipling: "SepEx is SepEx and Series is Series and never the twain shall meet."

Attached are pictures of SepEx (Attachment-1) and Series (Attachment-2) motors showing the field (stator) windings. Notice that the field windings of the SepEx motor consist of many turns of thin wire while the field windings on the Series motor contains a few turns of thick wire.

The field windings of the SepEx motor are designed to operate with less than 50A of current flowing through them while the field windings of the Series motor are designed to have the same amps flowing through them that are flowing thought the armature, which is several hundred amps.

When connected in series, the relative magnetic flux density between the armature windings and field winding are too disproportionate to do any useful work.

Hopefully the SepEx (PDS) motor wasn't damaged by connecting it to a Series controller.

-------
As for the noise: Have you ever heard an Armature Growler being used to test an armature?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SepEx Motor.jpg (935.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Series Motor.jpg (662.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by JohnnieB; 03-31-2016 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: added comment
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:23 AM   #6
taterm6x
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply---I'm not worried about the motor being damaged. It was a stock motor I took off the cart that Im building from ground up. Besides selling, I would've just tossed it.
I found a used series motor locally for $75 from a 1990 cart. I guess ill give that a shot. I planned on this being a flipper. I paid 200 for the cart. Figured if worse came to worse The charger and 3 month old controller is worth that.

The motor worked perfect in my 05 before pulling with no noise. Ive not heard of the growler.

At this point, I think the consensus is that I'm a da and need a series motor!!
Old 03-31-2016, 09:48 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You definitely need a Series motor, but I don't agree with the the D.A. part.

Here's a video about using a growler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk8UEaEcZME
Old 03-31-2016, 09:54 AM   #8
taterm6x
Not Yet Wild

Haha. Thanks. Could I have done harm to the controller by hooking up this motor and testing it out?
Old 03-31-2016, 10:03 AM   #9
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by taterm6x View Post
Yeah...I swear I read I could do that. but why the scrub noise? Is it maybe firing out of sequence or something?
No. You simply cannot place a PDS motor in a series cart. They are very different motors.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:14 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by taterm6x View Post
Haha. Thanks. Could I have done harm to the controller by hooking up this motor and testing it out?
Probably not.

Hook a SepEx motor to a Series controller and there is a possibility of taking out the motor's field windings.

Hook a Series motor to a SepEx controller and there is a possibility of taking out the controller's field circuit.

Tags
95 ezgo motor problem
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO