lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2016, 01:01 AM   #1
Kencart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Motor or trans-axle makes knocking sound

Hello all, I have a 1995 EZGO 36v cart. A couple days ago I started noticing a knocking sound coming from the motor or trans-axle. I would happen only every 20 seconds or so, now (kids drive it quite a bit) it makes the knocking sound about every 5 seconds or so. Same sound in forward and reverse, under load and coasting. The sound happens at random, it is not consistent.

I read several other threads regarding this issue and have checked my cart for those issues.... lugs nuts tight, opened the bottom of the trans-axle to look for anything loose, checked the oil for metal shavings (found none) brakes look fine, no loose parts. With cart on blocks and running... there is no knocking sound.

I see that one resolution was a centering kit, that was on a Club Cart and looked like it was hard to find. Is this kit available for EZGO carts and is this a possible solution for my cart.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Ken
Kencart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2016, 06:13 AM   #2
ski-doo583
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Sounds like a bearing going bad on one of the rear axle shafts

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
ski-doo583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:50 PM   #3
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Motor or trans-axle makes knocking sound

I am by far a cart expert but I would say a bad bearing in the axle or hub somewhere on ThE rear end. Other though which you cancelled out was the gears but you said no metal chunks or teeth laying in The bottom.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:01 PM   #4
LVCJ
going,.. going,.. gone!

E-Z-GO

Well.....here's my 2 cents....
Check the rear wheel hubs where they are mounted onto the axle splines on the ends. Stock Ezgo hubs are known to strip at those points. Add that to the fact you said kids were driving it around....you and I know how they like to shift between forward and reverse without coming to a complete stop.......
LVCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:42 AM   #5
Kencart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks so much, I will take a closer look at the bearings and wheel hubs. Tried wiggling the tires side to side and did not feel any slop that is normal with fried bearing but worth a deeper look. Thanks for the ideas! I will let you know what I find.

Ken
Old 04-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Are your spring or shock bushings worn out? If you are on hilly terrain then bumps may cause a clunking noise if the rubber bushings are gone.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #7
Kencart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well you guys nailed it! It was a back drivers side wheel bearing. I was not able to tell the location of the sound until it got louder. Before I really thought it as coming from the motor.. crazy!

Would anyone recommend a place online to order a bearing?

Thanks again!
Old 04-15-2016, 12:53 PM   #8
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

most parts stores have it on shelf-very common bearing....number should be on race....
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor knocking
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO