lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2017, 07:29 PM   #11
Chris M
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Charger shorting out

Here is the spec sheet for the batteries I am using.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PYL12V100FS.pdf (207.2 KB, 0 views)
Chris M is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2017, 08:17 PM   #12
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Although 3 marine batteries will work, it is not the best option. Run time will be reduced to at least half of what regular golf cart batteries run. You have something wired wrong somewhere. Post some pictures.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:17 AM   #13
Chris M
Not Yet Wild

I'm at work so no pics until tonight. I believe all wiring is correct as cart functions properly. Only issue is when connecting charger. Does the board/circuitry on the cart have any function in the charging process?
Old 06-14-2017, 07:50 AM   #14
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

No, it's usually a direct connection. Some have a fuse on the positive white wire connection at the batteries.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:02 AM   #15
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Looking back at your original post, it looks like you could have the polarity on the charge circuit of the cart or charger wrong, and the control circuit (big wires going to the controller) correct. That would let the cart run, but will pop a fuse in the charger when you plug it in. Charge circuit wires are wrong somewhere between the batteries and the charger.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:26 AM   #16
Chris M
Not Yet Wild

When I first hooked batteries up I was unsure of polarity as both cart leads are black. Motor was running opposite of cart shifter direction so I reversed. After that functuons properly. I still have not plugged the charger in to 120v, as I was going to direct wire to batteries and then plug in. White lead coming from charger was marked positive on charger plug end. Have not tried reversing leads from charger because I don't want to short batteries again. Fuse in charger is still good.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:42 AM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Do you have a digital multi meter (DMM)? Cheap and very important investment for "sparky" carts. You can find them at any Ace, Home Depot, Lowes, WalMart, etc., usually around $20 or less. You don't need anything fancy.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #18
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Reversing the cart wires at the batteries will not make the motor turn backwards, it usually results in a fried controller.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #19
Chris M
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray70 View Post
Reversing the cart wires at the batteries will not make the motor turn backwards, it usually results in a fried controller.

So if cart is functioning properly polarity should be correct? I was thinking it was backwards and I had to change it buy maybe I am misremembering. I do have a multi meter and am familiar with about half of it's functions. I am making 36vdc at cart leads with 3 12v batteries wired in series. Cart operates fine and I have charged batteries individually several times with a standard 12v charger. In my mind, something is shorted in the charger for it to be completing the battery circuit when I try to connect direct to batteries, since the charger was not even plugged in. Someone correct my logic here? Also, the cart was not connected to the batteries when I attempted to direct wire the charger.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:09 AM   #20
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If the cart is operating correctly do not change the leads that go to the controller! I think you're right, it's something in the charger, or the wires from the charge port to the battery are reversed.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO