lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2017, 08:07 PM   #1
Scottishredneck
Not Yet Wild

Default Security system

So I just purchased my first Golf Cart a couple of weeks ago, been wanting one now for over a year. Price of oil/lack of work offshore has taken its toll on the bank account, that said, I finally got a EZ Go TXT at an auction. Happy Happy Happy.

So I am personally concerned about the lack of security, mostly the fact that one key fits all, more or less.

After hours of research, I found this system, and was wondering if anyone has used this and had some feedback on the system.

https://www.bakerscartsupply.com/rem...-33065-b23.php

Are there any other security systems out there, apart from reed switches and hidden toggle switches worth considering?
Scottishredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2017, 08:36 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Security system

You can always replace the key switch for a non-generic one. EZ-GO sells them, and while not the cheapest, pretty much plug and play.

For WAY less than $50, you can easily disable starting the cart in a number of ways. This system can be overridden with a couple of dollars worth of Radio Shack alligator clips, as can most anything you can come up with, short of locking the front seat from being opened. If they have a trailer, they can simply push it up and drive away.

I don't know the "average" thief in your area, but I'm happy with a unique key. A "Club", and locking the steering wheel all the way to the right or left "may" deter, but a steering wheel can be snapped off with a few whacks, just like cars. A Police style boot is probably the best thing around, but crazy, unless you live in a really bad area, and that only takes 4 lug-nuts to remove the wheel.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:59 AM   #3
bmr4106
Not Yet Wild

SRN, ther are quite a few posts about ignition switch disabling. Several posters have used a simple single pole switch that is hidden away. It is wired in the keyswitch circuit. Has to be flipped to make factory keyswitch work. The most imaginative security system I saw was a normally open magnetic(seccurity system switch) wired into the keyswitch circuit and installed inside the cup holder. Then you put the magnet in a koozi so the keyswitch circuit is only cloaed when the koozi can insulator is in the golf cart cup holder. Simple, inexpensive, discrete and easy to use.
All that being said, I've been inatalling security systems for 35 years and there is no fool proof system, but any of these will slow 'em down and discourage the casual thief.
bmr4106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:22 AM   #4
crash test dummy

i use a rocker switch labeled lights next to the key switch
Old 06-20-2017, 12:27 PM   #5
jethaulin
never finished

Club Car

i went to local auto parts store and got a old style key switch. think it was less then $15 and keys are different in the four ive bought so far. like the light switch idea. Read on one forum where they wired it to a cigarette lighter and you just pushed it to tur on. you can only stop the honest people.
jethaulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:14 PM   #6
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I would go with a unique key which will stop most of your want a be bad guys but to stop that top percent of bad guys I would think about a hidden switch not on the ignition since it is easy to power up a controller with a jumper but instead put the hidden switch on the forward/reverse switch to disable it or how about a switch on the throttle cable, even with the controller powered up that cart still isn't going anywhere and since this guy is probably not going to want to sit there trying to trouble shooting this thing hopefully he will just walk away. And for those of you that have gone to disk brakes just put a line lock on it and they will have to carry it out.

Just a thought
Hypersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO