lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
01kenne
Not Yet Wild

Default is this battery good?

ok i bought my cc from some guy that says it needed batteries but i figured i would check them myself first so i have a 12volt trickle charger that i set to 2amp charge and let it charge for about 2 hours. after that i used my load tester on it and it said 3.5v with no load and .5 with a load. the cart was sitting for a year so the batteries havent been charged for a year so i was wondering if they are bad or does it seem like if i charge it a little longer it might be good now?
01kenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: is this battery good?

What voltage is the cart?

How many batteries did you try to charge with the 12 volt charge?
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
01kenne
Not Yet Wild

I only tried one so far I figured if one was good or bad then the rest probably are too
Old 02-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

The batteries are TOAST.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

What kind of batteries are they? 6volt, 8volt, 12volt?
Did you check the water level in it?
Still probably toast but 2 amps for 2 hours aint squat need to charge higher amps over night.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
01kenne
Not Yet Wild

i figured they are toast but the water was full
Old 02-24-2009, 11:04 PM   #7
D8WKND
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01kenne View Post
i figured they are toast but the water was full
They may be toast but maybe not. I have had very good luck De-Sulfating some batteries.
http://janwp.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Sc...FRBbagodwGo8lg

I have no connection with this company, just found this as information.

This is the one I have. It took a week to recover the battery.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...2201_200332201

There may be bigger, better ones.

I hope this helps,
Mike
D8WKND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
D8WKND
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ahhh.....

Found this page. Pick the voltage you have and check out the Desulphators.

http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-restoration/
Old 02-24-2009, 11:29 PM   #9
D8WKND
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Basic INFO...

BatteryMINDer® OnBoard Desulphators With Battery and Charging System Indicator (12-V, 24-V, 36-V & 48-Volt)

The BatteryMINDer® OnBoard Desulphators are designed to desulphate* deep-cycle and starter lead-acid storage batteries, without plugging into a 120 Vac power source. Solar powered electrical systems, using deep-cycle batteries for storage, will significantly benefit when their batteries are free of sulphate. Vehicles, particularly multi-battery trucks, RVs and golf cars will also greatly benefit from sulphate-free batteries. The units utilize patented technology to produce a wide range of high frequency pulses known as RFP ™ (Random Frequency Pulsation) designed to dissolve both old long-established, and newly formed sulphate*.

RFP™ circuitry allows the OnBoard desulphator to sweep the entire frequency range known to cause sulphation crystal molecules to resonate, un-bond, and then safely dissolves them. The sulphuric acid, the main component in the sulphate crystals, is now free and returns to the battery’s electrolyte. As a result, the Specific Gravity (S.G.) of the electrolyte is now higher and able to generate more electrical energy-storage capacity, than the previously sulphated batteries. Considerably less charging-source energy (solar panels, generators, alternators, et al) and much faster recharge, to full capacity, can now be expected. This is significant in “off the grid” solar installations when solar exposure times are short and / or power demands are high.

Golf car and RV owners who do not use their units, for months at a time, will benefit significantly from OnBoard desulphation. When used simultaneously, with the original factory supplied golf-car charger or built-in RV converter-charger, our OnBoard units continuously “clean” the battery’s charge plates. With sulphate-free plates the reduced performance and life shortening affect of long-term storage will be minimized. Although our OnBoard units do not charge or maintain batteries, by enabling the batteries to accept full charges, each time they are recharged, the damaging affect of long-term non-use are significantly reduced. The use of a safe, maintenance charger is always recommended when extended storage is anticipated. (See our BatteryMINDer models 12248 (12-Volt), 24041 (24-Volt), 3603 (36-Volt), 4802 (48-Volt) for safe long-term maintenance) Note: The great majority of golf car factory supplied chargers turn off when batteries are supposedly fully charged. If they are sulphated, they cannot be recharged to 100%, until or unless they are sulphated. RV converters with a charger stage are notorious for overcharging batteries, when left on for long non-use periods. They too cannot charge sulphated batteries to 100% of their capacity.

Additional advantages of using sulphation-free batteries include eliminating or greatly reducing the need for “equalizing” deep-cycle flooded (filler-caps) batteries, reduced recharge time, while demanding less output energy from solar arrays. In fuel powered vehicles extended alternator and belt life can be expected, as the vehicle’s charging system no longer needs to work as hard trying to charge batteries that will not accept high alternator output current due to sulphation build-up. Better fuel economy can also be expected, as much lower amperage is now demanded from the alternator to keep clean, sulphate-free batteries fully charged. Lower alternator output current demands, translates to lower engine loads.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Hey 01kenne as you have already figured out this is and has always been a hot topic
on the forum.
What you need to do first is
1. buy a decent battery hydrometer (a fee dollers)
2. Test each and every cell. (Post results if you like)
3. Determine how many batteries have bad cells
the stuff which is sold is battery rejuvinator not miracle juice.
while it may help extend the life (rejuvinate) low and week cells,
In my experience (which is limited to 1 test) it will not restore dead cells.
And most of the stuff in not that in-expensive you can have $60-$100 in
the solution and as the disclamers say 0% percent results.
Plus from start to finish it is a several day process charging, discharging,
re-charging ...etc. before you know if it's really going to work
So #1 Check all batteries first with Hydrometer .

Would everyone agree with this as the first step ?
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car