lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2017, 06:05 PM   #1
rking1998
Getting Wild

Default Is my motor fried?

Remember, I am a newbie. My cart is an EZGO TXT DCS 36V. I bought a new Altrax XCT500 with a matching heavy duty solenoid from ScottyB.

Before I install my new controller, I am going through the test he sent me to determine if I have a short in my motor. Here is what I got:

S1 to S2 = 2.0 ohms
A1 to A2 = 95 ohms
A1 or A2 to the body = OL
S1 or S2 to the body = OL
A1 to S1 = 9.0 Mohms

I am concerned mostly about the A1 to A2 reading. I am thinking that the 9.0 Mohms reading from A1 to S1 is practically an open circuit.

Please give me feedback to tell me if I have a bad motor.

Thanks
Rick
rking1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2017, 06:22 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Is my motor fried?

There is a problem with the armature or brushes for sure. A to S is likely ok.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:52 PM   #3
rking1998
Getting Wild

Is this repairable or is it time to pony up the money for a new motor?
Old 07-03-2017, 07:24 PM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

Unknown until the motor is torn down, inspected, and armature tested for short. It's a job for a motor rebuilder. Got any starter & alternator rebuild shops in your area?
Old 07-03-2017, 08:11 PM   #5
rking1998
Getting Wild

I have found a company close by that says they repair alternators, so I will give them a call on Wednesday. I am guessing that it will not be cheap to have my motor fixed and am wondering if it is worth it on an 18 year old motor.

It seems like everything that could go wrong with this cart is going wrong. In the end, I will end up with a great cart because I am replacing almost everything (motor, controller, solenoid, wheels, wiring, new paint....).

Dropped off my body parts at a paint shop today for a new blue metallic paint job.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:22 PM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

Yep, it's gonna be sweeeeeet!
Old 07-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #7
rking1998
Getting Wild

This morning I went out to the garage and pulled the motor off the cart. I took the housing off the motor to get a look at the brushes. Everything looks good as far as there are no loose connections and there seems to be plenty of material in the brushes and a nice square contact on the commutator. All solder joints look good.

I put it back together and now I am getting a reading of 38 ohms from A1 to A2 and my multimeter did beep for continuity. All of the other readings are the same.

How much resistance is too much resistance? I few weeks back, I posted a thread about my motor seizing up which I believe was caused by it getting wet and then sitting for a month. I opened it up, cleaned it up a little, oiled the armature, and put it back together. Could this have anything to do with the resistance showing from A1 to A2?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO