lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2017, 09:10 AM   #1
jdcdpm52
Not Yet Wild

Default Which cart should I choose?

Hello! Jason here, started researching carts about a month ago and I have to say this forum is amazing...I have learned more here than anywhere else on the internet...I feel you guys should offer a Bachelor Degree in cart studies!

Anyhow, ready to buy a cart and have it narrowed down to 2 and I am torn and would appreciate opinions/input. This will be for campground and neighborhood use. Primarily campground. The campground has majority flat gravel roads but our site is up a slight hill and when the facility rental carts, which are old and beat up, are low on charge they have trouble with the hill...but when fully charged they handle the hill fine (although they slow down fast with minimal use but that's probably because of poor cart/battery maintenance). Neighborhood at is relatively flat and blacktop paved.

Both carts have a flip aftermarket new back seat which is a must for us and we will have 4 people on the cart often. Both carts have stock tire size and stock motors. Both are off of a golf course. Both have overhead canopy. Neither is lifted. Both are at the same dealer (we have talked with 3 different dealers/resellers in a 90 mile radius and we love these guys. Local husband and wife family shop. Have a good feeling about them) Now the differences...

One is a 2014 txt 48volt with original batteries checking in at about 60%. It has a cool silver/grey/blue body shell. Clean and undercarriage looks good. Tires are in good shape. Drives fine on the flat gravel lot at the dealer. Feels fast. Body is in good condition

The other is a 2007 Txt series motor (no tow/haul switch, so not PDS), 36 volt, 6 brand new Trojan Batteries, stock green cart (wife likes color, me not so much, prefer the color of the newer one), clean and undercarriage looks good. Obviously more wear than the 2014 but looks normal for a 2007. Front tires look good and rear tires are brand new. Drives fine on flat gravel lot at dealer, feels fast but not as fast as the 2014, but feels as it should. Interesting point, my understanding (confirmed by the dealer) is that stock rear suspension on the 2007 is 2 leaf spring and this 2007 has 3 leaf spring suspension (which is great considering the aftermarket rear seat). Body is in good condition

So here are the numbers, I can get the 2007 for $490 less than the 2014. Wife prefers the 2007 for the new batteries alone (and the color which we disagree on). But the 2014 is the serpex motor and 48 volt instead of 36 volt series non-pds (concerns about the hill at camp, but my experience is jaded with the bad rental units). 2 new tires on the 2007 compared to the 2014. Beefier suspension on the 2007.

The vanity of it...I prefer the look of the 2014, but know I can change the shell of the 2007 easily but that would make the difference in up front cost negligible, but I keep going back to the brand new Trojan batteries in the 2007 as being possibly the selling point and a big cost savings over the 48 volt with 60% charge. And the green color may grow on me! So the cost of body upgrade may never happen. But looking at the cost of new batteries in 2 or 3 years for the 48 volt will push the first 5 year difference cost of ownership, if including purchase price, to probably over $1000.

So is the newer parts and motor and older batteries at $490 more preferable over this particular 2007 model? I want to go with the best long term choice which is the best financial deal not only now but in the long run.

What do you think? Which would you choose? Thanks in advance!
jdcdpm52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2017, 09:18 AM   #2
jdcdpm52
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Which cart should I choose?

Attached are pics of both carts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170807_110114614_HDR.jpg (218.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170807_110132429_HDR.jpg (218.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170807_110141860_HDR.jpg (214.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170807_111754091_HDR.jpg (214.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170807_111800928_HDR.jpg (201.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I would go with the newer one.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

For me, I would go with the 2014. Newer technology and components with fewer moving parts. Series cart has a FnR switch to deal with. Not sure if the freedom mode has been installed on the 14 but that will let it reach 19.5 mph with a little programming.. Series cart is good for like 15..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:03 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The TXT48 is the high water mark for Ezgo- I would buy this cart, put new batteries in it and never look back
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #6
FluxCapacitor
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would go with the 2014. That's a great Cart.

The 2014 batteries should hold up for another 1-3 years, by then you might have caught the cart fever and be interested in converting to Lithium (Lithium will be more affordable then too).

Most importantly IMO is not to underestimate the value of the seven year newer plastic/rubber parts and particularly the value of never wire harness and electrical connectors. That stuff all degrades with time.
FluxCapacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:27 AM   #7
jdcdpm52
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluxCapacitor View Post
I would go with the 2014. That's a great Cart.

The 2014 batteries should hold up for another 1-3 years, by then you might have caught the cart fever and be interested in converting to Lithium (Lithium will be more affordable then too).

Most importantly IMO is not to underestimate the value of the seven year newer plastic/rubber parts and particularly the value of never wire harness and electrical connectors. That stuff all degrades with time.
That is such a great point, to be honest, I never thought of what 7 years wear/weather difference on the small internal parts would make. Thanks for the thought...one of the reasons I posted....to get advice like this!
Old 08-08-2017, 10:31 AM   #8
jdcdpm52
Not Yet Wild

So, in my OCD random thoughts, I googled the country club listed on the front of the 2014... it's a high end (rather expensive looking) private country club outside of Columbus Ohio. So likely the cart wasn't used year round as not a lot of golfing in snow! Lol! But also, I would think (but may be wrong as my wife tells me I am usually wrong and she is right) but I would think a high end private club like that would maintain their equipment properly.

Thanks so far for all of the input...I appreciate it! But it's looking like the brand new Trojan batteries in the 2007 may not outweigh the benefits of a 48 volt 2014!
Old 08-08-2017, 04:04 PM   #9
Venteuri
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

You now hwo to determine year of batteries? look at the negative post. E7 are 2017 batteries. E6 2016 and so on.

Also: ask for discount on the 2014. the front lights are not TXT, they installed the wrong ones of RXV model.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #10
jdcdpm52
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venteuri View Post
You now hwo to determine year of batteries? look at the negative post. E7 are 2017 batteries. E6 2016 and so on.

Also: ask for discount on the 2014. the front lights are not TXT, they installed the wrong ones of RXV model.
Didn't realize that those were not txt lights. They work though! Thanks for the info on the batteries
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO