lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2017, 10:12 PM   #1
outdoorsed
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 956e

Hi All
I want to be closer to 20-25 mph with my 956. I put on 18 inch wheels and a purple motor from plumbquick. I've gone from 11 mph to 15 but no torque at all. I was thinking 2-4 g cables 500 amp controller and he solenoid. But I want it all to be able to take 48v on my next battery buy in a couple years (going to go from 6,6v to 6, 8v batteries)..... Advice, or comments?
outdoorsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2017, 08:56 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 956e

So you lost torque on the PQ motor? I was thinking about them as an upgrade path as they say on a 36v cart you get 20% more speed and 20% more torque. On 48v it says 25%. Looks like you got 40% more speed and lost torque.

You went with 18" wheels, isn't that the stock height?

48v and new controller will gain you speed, larter diameter wheels or high speed gears will gain speed too. I am not familiar with that cart but you may have a lower gear ratio in the diff???

Since you have lost torque I would avoid larger gears/tires until you get that straightened out with PQ.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:32 PM   #3
outdoorsed
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes I have 11 inch rims tires are kenda Pro Tour 205/50R10
outdoorsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Let's start with identifying the cart & drive system.
A 956E is a series drive with a 14.78:1 gears and 18" tall tires. It came in both 36V and 48V versions, so by saying you are considering going to 48V on the next battery replacement, you must have the 36V version.

A 205/50R11 tire is 19" tall, so you gained 5.6% in speed while losing 5.3% in torque where rubber meets road.

You went from 11MPH to 15MPH and the 4MPH speed gain is 36.4%. Less the 5.6% from the tires, nets a 30.8% speed gain from the motor.

At 15MPH with 14.78:1 gears and 19" tall tires, the motor is spinning at 3922RPM, which isn't very fast. Perhaps the full battery pack voltage isn't getting to the motor, or the pack voltage is dropping considerably under load.

Check the battery pack voltage when at max speed on level ground and compare it to the voltage between the M- and B+ on the controller when at max speed on same stretch of level ground. They ought to be the same, or very close. (Even if they are the same, the voltage might not be being applied to the motor since there are also several high current cables and the F/R contacts between M- and B+ and they will be dropping voltage if they have excessive resistance.)

The lack of torque, may be bad cables or batteries.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO