lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2019, 04:51 PM   #21
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Precedent leaf springs too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs182 View Post
I’ve had 3 Precedents do this. Driving me literally nuts. My H/D leaf springs are a 1/4” longer (eye to eye) than OEM. I’d like to try the boomerang shackle method but wondering if it will still pivot and do the same thing.
If there truly is only a 1/4 inch difference, that can easily be mounted as stock without any modifications. The rear spring shackles rotate easily an additional inch towards the back or front depending on the angle.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #22
jcs182
Not Yet Wild

I found the fix!!!!! Only cost me $10 at Ace Hardware and so simple!! Can be done on all Precedents regardless of the length of your H/D leaf springs. Wow, after having 3 Precedents do this, I am a happy man! A guy at my local golf cart place showed me this and he said he did it on a Precedent 2.5 years ago (he showed me the cart) and the shackles have NOT moved since he installed it. Just make sure you use various washers for adequate spacing and support (see pics) in between these metal supports and the shackles. That way the metal support doesn't bend when tightening the nuts on the bolts. It should remain straight. And make sure to put one of these metal supports on both sides (and outside) of the shackles. Hardest part was cutting the (four) 4-3/8” long metal pieces (1/8” thick) with a hacksaw. I installed these on both sides (driver and passenger sides) since both were collapsed and it feels totally solid. My wife and I got on the back and jumped up and down and it did not move. Best part, these supports/brackets attach using the bolts that are already on the cart!!! Only thing I wish I could have done is rounded the metal corners/edges/ends so it looked a little cleaner. But I didn't have a grinding wheel. Sorry, this website is turning the pics sideways when I upload them.

Last edited by jcs182; 06-23-2019 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: Pics are turning sideways
jcs182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:23 PM   #23
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Not to rain on your parade, but that’s a bad idea for several reasons.
Leaf springs extend as they compress or flatten out, the length of the spring from eye to eye gets longer as the spring is loaded. Because of this, one side of the spring has to be allowed free lateral motion. This is accomplished by the shackles at the rear of the spring. The shackles rotate as the spring compresses and rebounds to allow for the change in length.
What you have done is locked the shackles in place, and that will transfer stress from the compression of the spring into the aluminum frame of your cart. The aluminum frame will eventually stretch and crack because of that.

The fix for these is to make new shackles that are about 3/4” to 1” longer than the originals. They’ll make about a 1/4” to 1/2” difference in ride height, and just that little extra length of the shackles will prevent the spring from flipping the shackles up.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:24 AM   #24
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but that’s a bad idea for several reasons.
Leaf springs extend as they compress or flatten out, the length of the spring from eye to eye gets longer as the spring is loaded. Because of this, one side of the spring has to be allowed free lateral motion. This is accomplished by the shackles at the rear of the spring. The shackles rotate as the spring compresses and rebounds to allow for the change in length.
What you have done is locked the shackles in place, and that will transfer stress from the compression of the spring into the aluminum frame of your cart. The aluminum frame will eventually stretch and crack because of that.

The fix for these is to make new shackles that are about 3/4” to 1” longer than the originals. They’ll make about a 1/4” to 1/2” difference in ride height, and just that little extra length of the shackles will prevent the spring from flipping the shackles up.
I agree. More simple to extend shackles, also while you are at it find a place to grind the corners round
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:38 PM   #25
jcs182
Not Yet Wild

Thanks FairTax4Me, I took your advice and removed the metal supports and added new (longer) shackles (see photo). It seems to have done the job and feels very solid. I haven’t fully loaded down the cart yet with 4 people but did get in the back and bob up and down quite hard and they didn’t collapse. Not even a little bit. Appreciate your input. Here’s what I bought from Amazon:

The ROP Shop (2) Trailer Leaf Spring Shackle Straps 9/16" Holes for Boat Trailer Axle 2-Hole

Specs
Length: 3 7/8"
Width: 1 1/4"
Hole Center to Center Length: 2 5/8"
Hole Diameter: 9/16"
Thickness: 3/16"
Material: Raw Steel
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07D3...R2VB2XI3&psc=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FE391C26-0236-4D9C-9A82-F7070BA40D1C.jpg (24.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-30-2019, 06:59 PM   #26
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Good job.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:10 PM   #27
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Since I was having the same problem with my new springs, I built some extended shackles from scratch: .25" thick, 1.25" wide, 1-inch longer from hole to hole, black powdercoat.

I believe the stock shackles are 3/16" thick but my store only had 1/8" or 1/4" so I went with the 1/4" - overkill but at least it's safe.

The shackles are now at a proper angle and it rides much better now that the springs can extend.
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #28
jcs182
Not Yet Wild

You can buy the shackles I used on Amazon:

Product description:
The ROP Shop (2) Trailer Leaf Spring Shackle Straps 9/16" Holes for Boat Trailer Axle 2-Hole
Link:
https://www.amazon.com/ROP-Shop-Trai...ateway&sr=8-10

The 9/16” holes are a little big but you can just use washers. Much better than having to fabricate your own.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car