lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2017, 01:56 PM   #11
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Irma storm surge swamps golf cart

You should have already disconnected the battery. rinsed everything with fresh water and allowed to dry. I don't like WD40 because I have seen it turn battery connections grey and cause connection failure. If battery was connected for very long after salt water flood you can plan on replacing anything that had voltage on it.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2017, 02:40 PM   #12
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
You should have already disconnected the battery. rinsed everything with fresh water and allowed to dry. I don't like WD40 because I have seen it turn battery connections grey and cause connection failure. If battery was connected for very long after salt water flood you can plan on replacing anything that had voltage on it.
I have had a lot of battery connections and terminals over the years, turn grey that have never had WD40 on them. So I would say that the WD40 is not why they are turning grey.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:01 PM   #13
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

If the WD-40 residue concerns you, follow it with contact cleaner and the protective coating of your choice.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:37 PM   #14
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashpine View Post
I like a product called "fluid film" but it does not displace moisture as well as WD40...
http://www.fluid-film.com/
X2, and that is why I also use a product called Corrosion X. It'll displace water, works on all electronics, and is military approved.
Cruise Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:10 PM   #15
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
When a cart gets flooded the frame tubes fill up with water, in your case, Salt water, and it sits in the frame and rust the frame out. You need to stand the frame up on it's end, and let the water run out
Great advise Rib... I would add to flush the inside of the frame and any other tubing out with plenty of fresh water. The idea is to dilute the salt until it is at a negligable concentration on all metal surfaces that will be exposed to air later. Then let the frame and tubing thoroughly dry. You can blow warm or hot air through it with a hair dryer to speed the process.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:00 PM   #16
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

A decent [large] volume of compressed air will clean out the frame in a hurry too after rinsing with a hose. Oil, sprayed in and on the frame, after everything is dried will help prevent any further damage.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:04 PM   #17
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

Lot's of tubed boat trailers out there that get used in salt water. Takes awhile for them to rust out. Thinking once isn't enough to really worry about.

Once again Fluid film is your friend. Easy to shoot into tubes and it will creep with time.
Cruise Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:34 PM   #18
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Master View Post
Lot's of tubed boat trailers out there that get used in salt water. Takes awhile for them to rust out. Thinking once isn't enough to really worry about.

Once again Fluid film is your friend. Easy to shoot into tubes and it will creep with time.
they are aluminum frame he has steel ezgo frame
Old 09-30-2017, 11:09 PM   #19
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Anybody know how WD40 would create rust?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:23 PM   #20
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Anybody know how WD40 would create rust?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO