lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
kpauley
Gone Wild

Default What do I need to know about an MPT?

Someone selling a 2007 EZGO MPT 1000 in California. Looks to be in good shape for a utility cart, 48V electric. Brand new batteries (Interstate) and some other stuff.

I have a TXT right now, not really that familiar with the MPT series. He says it has a DC motor, later ones were AC units?

Any known issues to watch out for, sounds like this could be a good unit for around the farm. We have a manure spreader we pull with our cart, looking for a good amount of torque, able to do hills reasonably well. When our TXT is running well it does pretty good, so if its better than that it would be a plus!

Again, just don't have much knowledge on the MPT's and I'm not seeing a lot on them.
kpauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2017, 04:48 PM   #2
kpauley
Gone Wild

Default Re: What do I need to know about an MPT?

Also trying to get an idea on price ranges for a model like this in California.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:00 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I'm guessing that one is a "sepex" model? (Has a toggle switch for F&R, not a lever). They have lower gear ratio, and bigger motor, so good for work use. If it's what I think it is, it's very different than typical TXTs (not necessarily bad, just not the same as typical TXT for understanding work and repair, which every vehicle will need eventually). Totally different motor controller and wiring. More expensive for parts than typical TXT. Does it have 8x 6v batteries? Have you seen it in person? Price ranges is all over the place based on local market demand, what sells for 2k here might bring 3k in another market area. We have some of the "sepex" MPTs around here pulling trailers successfully with no major issues.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:21 AM   #4
kpauley
Gone Wild

Yes, it has 8x 6V batteries, seems very clean in the pictures (I've included a couple), especially for a utility vehicle. The guy buys carts and flips them on the side, sounds like he went through and cleaned it up and put the new batteries in and such. I'm going to see it tomorrow.

I'm looking more for torque, hauling, not top speed of course. Sounds like the gearing may be right for what we need. Price seemed high to me ($3500) but I don't think these types of carts come up very often, especially in good shape? So its hard for me to really know. But it seems comparable to what I might of paid if I was looking for a solid, later model RXV.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:56 AM   #5
dezertrxv
Not Yet Wild

Seems to be around the going rate in CA. Most of them I see are gas. I had a gas workhorse. I don't think I knew they had an electric model. There is one for 2500 on CL but was posted 20 days ago.
dezertrxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:56 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yep, it is what I suspected it to be. They aren't speed demons for sure, they don't do 20mph or anything, they are work oriented (and speed limited to keep employees out of trouble). Their factory calibration has a lot of regen braking when the throttle is released (can be adjusted). They are compatible with the same programmer as the 2012.5 and newer RXV & newer 48v TXT (has a Curtis controller, 1268 if I recall). Notice the huge motor it's got? It's a work mobile. Looks to be in really nice shape (if it's not all armor-all fake shine). Most of those workers don't come in looking too good if they had years of hard service. It might be one to grab, go have a look.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #7
kpauley
Gone Wild

Thanks. Going to check it out today. Since I’m coming from an older cart I’m not familiar with the programmers. I have an alltrax in my current old cart and know I can plug in my computer to it and assuming there is some programmer for these that can be purchased to adjust settings. Is there a link you can send with some information about what one to get, what things are safe to adjust and what stuffis not?
Old 12-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #8
kpauley
Gone Wild

Found some posts on it, there's a lot of stuff! And it looks like things can be expensive unless you want to build your own cables and such. I did see something where you can rent a programmer too.

I guess I'll need to read more (assuming I get the cart) to see if there is anything that really would make me want to change settings based on my application. Hill climbing, towing, torque is probably going to be my concerns more than top end speed and acceleration. If running stock does what I need then I'm probably better off not touching anything I suppose.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #9
kpauley
Gone Wild

Found some posts on it, there's a lot of stuff! And it looks like things can be expensive unless you want to build your own cables and such. I did see something where you can rent a programmer too.

I guess I'll need to read more (assuming I get the cart) to see if there is anything that really would make me want to change settings based on my application. Hill climbing, towing, torque is probably going to be my concerns more than top end speed and acceleration. If running stock does what I need then I'm probably better off not touching anything I suppose.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:19 AM   #10
kpauley
Gone Wild

The one thing I would want to do is put on some tractor tires like I have on my current EZGO TXT. I'm making an assumption that the suspensions are fairly similar, the current wheels / tires I have on my TXT work just fine and worked without a lift of the cart and I'm hoping the same thing will be true with the MPT. If I can use those same ones we'll be good.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO