lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2019, 03:29 PM   #11
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Default Re: EZGO mini spool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
I get the purpose of a spool just not why it is needed on a gc.
On the other hand I have needed both wheels to spin at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
My golf cart will be strictly for hunting, so I'm looking to get the most traction possible.
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-08-2019, 06:13 PM   #12
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

I just got a quote of $300 to wire EDM the splines in my spool. This is definitely much better than the other prices I've been getting. I really don't have much in materials and $300 seems to be right in the ballpark of what other traction devices are going for. What do you guys think?
Old 02-10-2019, 11:17 AM   #13
Fastest1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70oldsracer View Post
I just got a quote of $300 to wire EDM the splines in my spool. This is definitely much better than the other prices I've been getting. I really don't have much in materials and $300 seems to be right in the ballpark of what other traction devices are going for. What do you guys think?

Its a bargain, do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Fastest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:19 PM   #14
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Little late now but I have been told that the carrier out of the rxv rear is a posi and bolts in after changing the ring gear. A bunch of these were floating around a while back because ezgo was swapping out noisy rear ends and pitching the old ones.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #15
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Little late now but I have been told that the carrier out of the rxv rear is a posi and bolts in after changing the ring gear. A bunch of these were floating around a while back because ezgo was swapping out noisy rear ends and pitching the old ones.
Yeah, I knew that the RXV's had posi's and the EZGO part # is 614756, but brand new they are over $400 and unfortunately EZGO doesn't make a reuild kit for it, so once the clutches wear out, you have no choice but to buy a whole new unit. I've been speaking to a guy that might have a used one for $150. My other option is to try and turn down the side gears to a splined sleeve, put a 1/4" key way in it and the spool and press fit the sleeves in place. The side gears are heat treated and made up of a pressed metal. They may be hard to machine and welding them in place is not an option.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #16
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Just asking as an old school 1/4 mile racer. We used to weld the spiders together and makes posi spool.
If your not looking for a limited slip differential with springs and clutch plates, why not do this? Or am I missing point of thread.
By the way, nice machine work👍
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:13 PM   #17
rib33024

Here's some welded gears

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...html#post83384
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:39 PM   #18
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra,1 View Post
Just asking as an old school 1/4 mile racer. We used to weld the spiders together and makes posi spool.
If your not looking for a limited slip differential with springs and clutch plates, why not do this? Or am I missing point of thread.
By the way, nice machine work👍
Thanks. Well, I too was an old school 1/4 mile racer, like to think I still am, but I haven't been to the track since 2000. I actually have a Mark Williams spool in the rear end of my car right now. When I thought about doing a locked rear, my first idea was to weld the gears, but unfortunately, the gears in the EZGO differential are made of some crappy pressed metal and are heat treated, they probably won't weld very well. I didn't want it coming apart and ruining everything in the carrier. With the spool, If I don't like it, I can change it out whenever I want and the side gears, spider gears and the carrier do not need to be modified and can go right back together.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #19
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
I actually read that whole thread when I first started researching a locked rear. The welding is definitely a cheap solution, but just to permanent and questionable for me. I ended up buying that limited slip differential out of that RXV. I'm still going to go ahead with the spool, just not sure which way I'm going to have the splines done. I called a machine shop today that has a shaper, but they want $600 to do the splines. The EDM is looking like the way to go.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:14 PM   #20
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks 70 olds, make sense, yea trashed a few of those gm 10 bolts back in the day 😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO