lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #1
fish1102
Not Yet Wild

Default Will bad motor cause controller to go bad

I just picked up a 2003 Club Car Pathway that didn’t run. Motor was locked up. I pulled motor off and apart and it is literally destroyed inside. Will this cause the controller to burn up also or is there some kind of protection circuit in there? Reason I ask is that I have a 2000 Regen 2 that I tested with. Battery’s already discounted in the Regen, I took wiring off of Regen motor and ran some temp wires to newer cart. Hooked battery’s back up and Regen would move when petal mashed but not good. Also only went in reverse either way I put switch, forward or reverse. I had thought I had read here that the motors were similar. Thanks in advance for any help.
fish1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2019, 12:45 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Will bad motor cause controller to go bad

If the 03 has a sepex motor they will be similar but the direction it moves depends on how you hooked it up. If it’s hooked up wrong it will only go one direction, doesn’t matter if the selector is in Forward or Reverse.

Does the 03 motor have F1 and F2 labels or S1 and S2?
F labels (Feild) are a Sepex motor
S labels are on a Series motor, and those are NOT interchangeable.

Usually there is some protection for a stalled armature, but if there’s an electrical short to the motor case or from armature to the feild coils the controller may not be able to handle that. This can change depending on the controller.
You should be able to use the Regen motor in the 03 to test the controller, but ONLY if the 03 also has a Sepex motor. I would not leave the regen motor in the other cart, because differences in the motor design that may cause damage to the controller if used long term.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:52 AM   #3
rib33024

If the cart was towed at a fast speed. And they did not flip the tow/run switch to TOW. It will burn up the motor, and take out the controller to. Or if some one was going down hill to fast this will happen
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:39 AM   #4
fish1102
Not Yet Wild

The motors both have A1 A2 F1 and F2 connections. I hooked them up wire for wire with the batteries unhooked , then hooked batteries back up and tested. Honestly when I took apart the bad motor and looked at the damage, my first thought was that the car had been towed very fast with the switch in run.
fish1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:57 AM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Been there, seen it, dd it, but did not do it....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car