lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2019, 07:03 AM   #1
Pepe30269
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 2003 Club Car Silver Standard

We have a 2003 Club Car that we use as a backup. Batteries are two years old and is in good shape but late last summer it started having some issues so I put it in the storage barn to look at it when I had time. Since the newer cart we have apparently has a need for a new motor, getting the spare running has taking on new meaning.
Last year before I started having problems, this 2003 cart would get up around 19 or 20 mph. I took it out last night just to see and it ran about 8 to 10 mph up or down hills then occasionally it would beep 5 or 6 times and come to a complete stop and then go into a 3 mph mode which is like u are standing still. Every once in a while it kicks in and goes a 14 or 15 mph.
It doesn't feel like it is going slow. It feels like it is dragging. What you would expect if it were pulling a ton of metal on a trailer.

I did the test on the MCOR and the MCOR passed the test. Everything I read about says it is likely the speed sensor or controller. Any thoughts on which one it might be?

Thank you.
Pepe30269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2019, 07:09 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 2003 Club Car Silver Standard

Did you try the Push-Pull test? Grab the cart without the brake engaged and push it forwards or backwards and you should feel resistance and hear beeping. If not, the speed sensor is bad.

If it works, flip the toggle switch to Tow and it should roll freely. If you have any drag, check the brakes...
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:17 AM   #3
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Every once in a while it kicks in and goes a 14 or 15 mph
That sounds like it might be a welded solenoid. Remove the wires from one the big posts on the solenoid. Measure the resistance. It should read open or OL.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:03 AM   #4
Pepe30269
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Did you try the Push-Pull test?

I did try that test. Mixed results. Beeps (six) each time but not much of a drag

Last edited by Pepe30269; 05-30-2019 at 02:13 AM.. Reason: For the adventure of it
Old 05-30-2019, 02:09 AM   #5
Pepe30269
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
That sounds like it might be a welded solenoid. Remove the wires from one the big posts on the solenoid. Measure the resistance. It should read open or OL.
Helllo Walter. Thank you. I Let me report back.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:36 AM   #6
Pepe30269
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Putting in the new speed sensor... that little piece of plunder is in a difficult spot. I lost two fingers. Then it isn't 5/16 nuts that release the old sensor, at least on this 2003 it is two flat head screws that are set in position for life. I did get the screws out but when I tried to work out the sensor only the top came off. It seems the sensor circle that goes into the motor is stuck. Tonight I wanted to use my 38 to get it out, so decided I would check first with the group and finish it up tomorrow.

Pepe
Old 06-05-2019, 05:53 AM   #7
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

I'm afraid you have gotten confusing instructions for removing the speed sensor. On that cart all you do is use a screw driver and pop it off, then unplug the wires. What you have now is a bearing retainer ring loose in your motor. The two flat head screws need to go back in to hold the motor bearing. You will need to remove the motor from the cart take the end cap off the motor so you can get screws started in the retainer. You will need a longer screw to get the first screw in place. Once you have that done you can put the end cap back and install the normal screw, once it is in you can remove the long screw and put the normal one in and the cap can be fasten back down. I know this sounds like a good reason to blow the cart up, but it's not that bad.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:18 AM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Darn GE motor got plenty of others in the past......
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:57 PM   #9
Pepe30269
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thank you Mr. Golf. So I think what you are saying is that the screws I removed were holding the motor bearing assisted by a bearing retainer ring that is now inside the motor and I need to get it out, plus resecure the motor bearing. To do that I need to remove the motor from the cart and take off the end cap. Am I in the ballpark?

So you are right... I got bad information - or likely good information for another cart year or model. There are two videos (and only two that I could find) that show exactly how to take off the speed sensor. One that required a 5/8 socket to remove two small bolts - one above and one below the sensor - and the other an 8mm socket to do the same thing. I made the incorrect assumption then that, whatever socket I needed, the secret would be in removing two bolts - one above and one below the spot where the sensor interfaces with the motor.

Here are the links if you are interested...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np-vYMqIS5Q&t=82s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtbsTjQqq8k
Old 06-06-2019, 02:18 AM   #10
Pepe30269
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Alright Gentlemen:

Can you guide me on how to take this out? Should I disconnect one set of battery cables?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2003 motor.jpg (151.5 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car