lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2019, 10:29 PM   #1
DGT4UNC
Not Yet Wild

Default Advise for buying new batteries

I have a 2013 club car precedent. My batteries only last a trip to the course, 10 minute ride, 18 holes, and limps home. The batteries are powertron and are 2017 model. Local cart supplier said I was getting about 68 minutes of pedal down time. Is it time for new batteries? And what does everyone recommend. Seems my best choices are Crown or Trojan. I have 6 - 8v. Thanks in advance.
DGT4UNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2019, 10:50 PM   #2
klubber
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Advise for buying new batteries

Not for nothing, but powertrons are usually pretty good and should last longer than 3 years with proper maintenance. You are spot on looking at Trojans and Crown 190s, but are you regularly checking water and are you plugging in the cart every night? Do you have lights and other accessories and if so how are they powered? You will be disappointed with any batteries that are not maintained.
klubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:59 PM   #3
DGT4UNC
Not Yet Wild

I bought the cart from a couple that didn’t seem to use it much but swore they kept the charger plugged in always. The first thing I did was check the water. Some where a little low. I filled all cells with distilled water to recommended levels. I always plug it in after every use and leave it plugged until the next. I have a Bluetooth radio, and usb charger but everything powers off with switch. Batteries are super clean. Seems these should’ve lasted longer but local shop said it’s time for new ones if I want longer rounds. He said they were fine for a stroll through the neighborhood but not a 36 hole day?
Old 11-27-2019, 11:09 PM   #4
klubber
Gone Wild
Club Car

Okay. So one more question. Are you powering your bluetooth radio and speaker with the cart and if so are you using a reducer or taking power from one or two batteries? If you batteries were 2017's and the cart is a 2013, that means the cart has gone through 2 sets of batteries in 6 years or less. There is something not right here and should be corrected before you spend $700 on new batteries.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:25 PM   #5
DGT4UNC
Not Yet Wild

Yes powering everything with the cart. The batteries were actually the issue for taking it to the shop. Once at the shop I had the radio added. They also added a reduced or something that would allow me to add additional accessories later. We added a usb charger/car charger, the Bluetooth. It already had lights installed. I believe the couple previous to me bought it “remodeled” which is why it had the 2017 batteries. Sorry for not knowing the exact terminology but I’m a very trusting individual and had the golf cart shop treat the cart as their own. I believe they were very honest and did a solid job on the items they corrected. They didn’t push batteries but tried to revive the current ones. It went from a 61 minute pedal down time to 68 minutes.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:33 PM   #6
klubber
Gone Wild
Club Car

hard to revive batteries. My questions come down to this. What may be killing the batteries quickly is using two batteries to run your lights. Hopefully the shop rewired your original lights to the reducer. If they are be driven by using 2 of the batteries it makes the draw uneven over the full pack and can cause a much shorter battery lifespan. If they have corrected this, then It may no longer be an issue, but give explanation to the original 2 packs shorter lifespan.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:47 PM   #7
DGT4UNC
Not Yet Wild

Klubber thanks for the help and advice. In your opinion if the lights were corrected to the reducer, is it time for new batteries? Also the lights are operated on a separate pull push switch and they are rarely used? The only other thing I did this summer was I used a little “personal fan” that I would gator clip to a battery. Would that have been a problem?
Old 11-28-2019, 12:02 AM   #8
klubber
Gone Wild
Club Car

It is never good to draw power from anything less than the whole pack. the more you do it, the shorter life you can expect. I would suggest running your reducer to a fuse block and getting power from there in the future. I'm no expert, but that is how I have my cart set up. My batteries are from 2014 and still hanging on. They came with the cart when I bought it and are a brand that I never saw before. So yes, it may be time for new batteries, but before you invest, make sure you are utilizing them in the optimum fashion. And then plug them in every night, and check your water levels at least once a month.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:01 AM   #9
passthru
Gone Wild

Club Car

When you invest in new batteries I suggest lithium.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
passthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 05:11 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I don’t agree that lithium is the way to go, especially for the average cart owner who mostly just wants 2-3 rounds of golf out of a pack. Lithium has inherent dangers and requires special and constant attention to prevent damage to the pack and potential fire.

From what I’ve read Crown has a higher capacity and cost less than Trojan. If Crown is an option I would probably go with them since their quality and warranty are every bit as good or better than Trojan.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car