lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-28-2019, 10:11 PM   #1
SB77
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Brakes

So I need better brakes. Mine are worn out and I've added a trailer to the mix for occasional use. The ausco ones seem good except the noise / drag would drive me nuts.

I have a club car Lynx cart with the cut frame front lift... Can I use the Jake's front disks for a stock club car ds? Or, if not, could I add their smallest lift on top of my factory lift and then use Jake's disks up front?

I'll replace the worn out parts of my stock rears at the same time.

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
SB77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-28-2019, 11:59 PM   #2
SB77
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Brakes

I ordered a brake job kit for rear drums, figured I'd start there and see if that gives me enough brakes.

Old 11-29-2019, 04:36 AM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I have the Ausco Disc on my DS and they are not loud in the least.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:14 PM   #4
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

With a cut frame front lift you ought to be able to use a Jake's disc brake kit for a non lifted DS. Since nothing is changed with the spindles. But just looking at the usual parts places they don't have one listed for the DS. I would call Jake's at 888 444 9994 M-F 8 to 5 EST and ask to talk to a Technician.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:56 PM   #5
oldphart
Getting Wild

Club Car

Those kits exist....but they're built to order. I just got one for this '87 DS that I'm prepping for a VC625. I gotta' grow old, but I don't have to grow up.

Pardon my messy shop.....

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PIC00006.JPG (268.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PIC00002a.JPG (278.0 KB, 0 views)
oldphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:01 PM   #6
SB77
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks guys....yeah I noticed no one had them. I'll call on Monday. Oldphart.... How involved was the install?

Old 11-30-2019, 08:56 AM   #7
oldphart
Getting Wild

Club Car

Install was very straightforward, but I suspect bleeding the system might be a real bitch without a vacuum bleeder setup. The only glitch I found was the steering arms on the replacement spindles were thicker, so I couldn't get cotter pins in the tie rod ends......I drilled & safety-wired them.

Jim
oldphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:23 AM   #8
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
bleeding the system might be a real bitch
Actually bleeding the brakes is pretty easy. With all the extra length you have in the lines you can take the calipers loose and hold them while you pump the brakes. And since you move the caliper to the highest point in the system the air flows right out when you open the valve. Somebody made a video on the internet about how to do this. Do a search and you'll find it.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:40 PM   #9
SB77
Getting Wild
Club Car

So I got new cables, drums, and shoes on. Stops a little bit better but still not great. If mean, the overall stopping distance is fine.... It's just the last ten feet. Like it seems like if you pressed harder on the brake it should jerk to an immediate stop... But it just slowly coasts to a stop no matter the force you put on the brake.

I adjusted the the shoes so that the drum.... Just slipped on, and I adjusted the cables so there is just no drag... No slop in peddle.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:49 PM   #10
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Don't know if this applies to cart brakes or not, but some of the new brake linings ( pad or shoes) need to be burnt in. You hold the brake and drive for 10-20 feet then release the brake do this several times and the brakes should grab better. Hold the brake just hard enough the make them drag and heat up.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car