lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2021, 04:42 PM   #1
corogers
Not Yet Wild

Default Nothing when selecting fwd or rev

Hello everyone,

I have a custom little hotrod car that runs on a Harley Davidson 1975 D motor. I have had an issue with it running for about a year. I just took it out of storage yesterday with the plan to try and get it running properly again. I turned the key to on position and then tried to select forward with the fwd/rev switch.

For some reason selecting forward only turned the motor over but it would not fully start the motor. When I went to reverse it ran just fine and I drove it backwards up and down the block. I then took the switch apart and cleaned it all up. It didnt really look dirty or anything. After putting it back together and going in to forward I was able to get it to run pretty much normal as long as I pushed on the switch fairly hard. As if that was the only way that made a solid enough connection. I decided to take it apart again and clean it further and also stretch the springs a little that are underneath the brass dish looking pieces that make the electrical connection. Now I cant get any connectivity in fwd or rev.

I am feeling like its probably not the fwd/rev switch but potentially something else. Does anyone have ideas on where to go from here? My connections all seem solid, battery is new, etc etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I will try and answer any questions to the best of my ability.

Thank you in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EVQP1510.jpg (222.6 KB, 0 views)
corogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2021, 09:00 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Nothing when selecting fwd or rev

You should be able to bypass that forward / reverse lever altogether which will definitively confirm or rule out that it's the problem. Open that switch up connect the forward leads with a bolt. If it works then your switch is the problem. If not then the issue is something else, obviously.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:01 AM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

This is a testing procedure that has been refined with input from a few posters. It might be helpful to you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Testing Procedure.pdf (245.9 KB, 0 views)
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:58 PM   #4
corogers
Not Yet Wild

Thank you very much for the replies. I will test and reply back!
Old 06-01-2021, 10:41 AM   #5
corogers
Not Yet Wild

So it looks like my issue is with my points. The selector wouldnt engage because it wasnt grounded properly
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson