lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
BLES
Not Yet Wild

Default Rookie questions and clarifications

I have a friends G16 here for some maintenance. New plug, fuel filter, cleaned carb, new belt, etc..

Thought it would be good to check the clutches. I'm going to get or make a puller for the driven clutch (anyone know the thread size in the outer sheave for a puller??). I also plan to get a puller to pull the drive clutch.

Now what? I can see (with cover removed) that the rollers have flat spots so they will need replacement. I assume cleaning/grease also, but what else?

I've been reading a ton of stuff online but some of it's more confusing than helpful. Any simple pointers for maintaining these older carts? I don't golf but have lots of friends who do and are always asking me for help as I'm the neighborhood fix-it guy. I've never done much with carts before.

Thanks in advance.
BLES
BLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
bullittman
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Rookie questions and clarifications

I will be watching this thread also. I am about to pick up a 97 G16 for 800.00. Current owner is going through it now with the plug, filters and a good carb cleaning (been sitting in his garage for a while and gummed up) I don't even have it and can't wait to start playing. Looking for things I should know or do as far as preventative maintenance.
bullittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

BLES the flat spotted rollers mean a lot of wear, check the pivot pins for the swinging ramps for wear also. http://www.yamahagolfcar.com/partsandservice/# is an exploded diagram that may help. Take the time to look it over and call (yes pick up Bells outdated talk thing) and talk to one of the sponsors on here. They will have or get for you every thing you need to rebuild the clutch. check the little tower slides as well.

GOOD LUCK
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Check the aluminum parts of sheaves the belt can wear them dished in, then they don't shift well. That happens with a lot of sand on older carts. Make sure the shoes work well on the ramps and ramps smooth, clutches have to slide and move well or it will not shift right and you lose power. Fresh belt is more important for lifted carts a worn one tends to lose power at low speeds. Don't grease too much and get grease on belt. I use a light lube on rollers and weight pins, I like superlube its a synthetic chain lube that does not collect dirt as much. Also make sure the engine mounts are good so the engine can't move towards the trans, that will kill hill climbing/pulling power. If it has a tension cable adjust that up, but too far and they lose top speed. Keep clutches clean I clean mine once a year and lube. I put a shot of grease in about twice a year depending on how much its run. With mine if I can pull the primary out after I come to a stop it needs cleaning, it falls out itself if working right. But i have the older weight style primary. Sometimes I have to clean it a few times a summer if its dusty all the time, really wish I had time to make a dust guard of some kind for the whole thing.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
BLES
Not Yet Wild

After a long break, I'm getting back to this cart. I got a puller for the primary clutch. It's somewhat like the bolt used to hold the clutch on but with the threads removed from the end, and then it has threads (14mm x 1.0) just under the head. It threads in VERY hard but doesn't seem to be cross-threading as the threads aren't damaged. Did they just make this puller slightly large or do they always thread in this hard? Still haven't got the clutch off. Any thoughts?

BLES
Old 02-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The pullers some are selling are junk I have one that the threads go around on it with no spiral. I can't find a 14 x1 die to fix it.

Grease the puller tip and threads snug it down tap the end with a hammer and snug it again repeat repeat. Let it sit under tension and go back it can take time.

Then when you put it back never seize is your pal.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Doomsman:
Links for a die to clean up the threads on your puller & tap for the clutch if needed.

Tap:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVS...00000123131053
Die:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVS...00000123131101

OOPS, links don't work-no longer available? Let me research this.........

Last edited by GMB74; 02-18-2010 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: Links don't work
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I saw one die a few weeks back and it was london and 45.00
I will buy one and rent to reduce cost but it was anougher 30 shipping handling.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Tap but no die for 14x1, tap $34.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#taps/=5w0nbi

epay: http://cgi.ebay.com/14mm-14-x-1-Metr...h/110485112974
http://www.tapdie.com/html/metric_di...ies_metri.html (never bought there)

http://www.victornet.com/subdepartme...ml?id=fSrV2i9j
$14 for a die here....come on you guys need to learn to use google....lol... :)
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
BLES
Not Yet Wild

DOOmsman:
You were right. Yesterday I was in the city at a Yamaha dealer and bought ANOTHER puller. Popped right off. Other puller must be made wrong. Question now is... how do I get the rollers out to replace them? Do I need another tool to get the clutch apart?

BLES
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha