lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #11
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: g16 frame ground

Here is what I did to mine.
The terminal strips are in the front under the cowl and the fuses are at the battery
Attached Files
File Type: pdf g16.pdf (31.7 KB, 18 views)
breugel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #12
jreimers
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

when i put my lights on the weren't very bright so i checked the voltage with a multimeter. i was getting 12.6v off of battery and 7.4v from frame.
jreimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreimers View Post
when i put my lights on the weren't very bright so i checked the voltage with a multimeter. i was getting 12.6v off of battery and 7.4v from frame.
?? Where were you meter leads? Do you mean red on + batt black on - batt = 12.6 and + on batt and black on the frame = 7.4???? If so you have a bad ground connection or possibly a bad fuse.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #14
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

thanks guys for the advice sound like i'll just have to tear it apart and ground the lights.
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #15
jreimers
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

hey breugel, thats the way i was looking at it. the fuses are fine so your more than likely correct. perhaps i was not making a good connection with meter, but the reading was consistent. i don't seem to have any electrical problems....where would i look first? or maybe i better leave it alone. if it ain't broke, don't fix it!! thanks, jim
jreimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #16
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreimers View Post
hey breugel, thats the way i was looking at it. the fuses are fine so your more than likely correct. perhaps i was not making a good connection with meter, but the reading was consistent. i don't seem to have any electrical problems....where would i look first? or maybe i better leave it alone. if it ain't broke, don't fix it!! thanks, jim

I would check it again with the meter. You may indeed not have a good contact with the lead on the frame. If the cart is running fine I would let sleeping dogs lie.
If you want to look at it start at the fuse holder. One end goes to the battery the other to the frame. Take the fuse out and measure resistance to the battery and frame. You should have very low ohms 0 - 2...
Old 03-11-2010, 07:31 PM   #17
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

The reason I was telling everyone to take the wires straight to the battery (on G1/G2/G9/G8 and G14's) is because the electronic ignition system (cdi or tci) were based on open and closed ground. So, the lites or accesories could have effected the spark. G16's and up are a magneto style tci (coil) so no worries with spark/ground. Yes I would recommend 20 amp fuses for the lite and accesories and also upgrade the main wire harness to 20 amp fuses. Just food for thought. Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #18
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
The reason I was telling everyone to take the wires straight to the battery (on G1/G2/G9/G8 and G14's) is because the electronic ignition system (cdi or tci) were based on open and closed ground. So, the lites or accesories could have effected the spark. G16's and up are a magneto style tci (coil) so no worries with spark/ground. Yes I would recommend 20 amp fuses for the lite and accesories and also upgrade the main wire harness to 20 amp fuses. Just food for thought. Dave
Curious... Why would you main fuse to 20 A
Old 03-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #19
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by breugel View Post
Curious... Why would you main fuse to 20 A
I have found when adding accesories, the stock 10 amp fuse would "blow". Don't like call backs and have found the main 20 amp upgrade does the job. When we add lights ect to the new "The Drive" carts, the factory sends a 10 amp to exchange the 3 amp main fuse. Sorry I'm not an engineer, was just trying to help.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #20
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
I have found when adding accesories, the stock 10 amp fuse would "blow". Don't like call backs and have found the main 20 amp upgrade does the job. When we add lights ect to the new "The Drive" carts, the factory sends a 10 amp to exchange the 3 amp main fuse. Sorry I'm not an engineer, was just trying to help.
Smallblock you are one of the veterans here so you have me beat. On the G16 it comes with a 10 amp fuse. Going to a 20 amp is a bit to high for my taste. I have no idea what the wiring is rated at. I just always suggest when adding accessories to run a ground back to the battery and leaving the stock fuse alone.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha