lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
dogdoc
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 PDS controller upgrade?

So as you can tell this is my first post. I just bought (this am) a 2000 EZ GO PDS with 22-10-10 tires/ aluminum rims and 6" lift. I am trying to educate myself on the cart and be sure I have the set-up I need for what I'm using it for.

I was actually shopping for a plain ole stock cart to lift and build out from the ground up. Checking craigslist I found this one locally for what I believe is a very good price... and I just couldn't help myself. I paid $2950 for the cart which also included a $200 cd player/radio and a brand new flip back seat. Oh, and a set of 4 10" street tires (like new) that were on it till the new off road tires were place (still have that great new tire smell:) If you subtract just the cost of the lift/rims/tires/radio/seat that's gotta be between $1200-$1500 not counting time/labor. So I'm pleased with the deal even though the cart needs some tweaking.

Anyhow. Just got it home and went cruising back on my property. We have 160 acres of gentle rolling hills (mostly flat ground) that we ride on. Very simple trails that me, the wife, and our 3 younger children love to go on "joy rides". It did great. We have lots of wildlife and the ability to ride right up on deer and turkey is awesome!

We were almost finished with what was probably a 30 to 40 minute ride when the cart just decided to take a break. Very low incline and pedal down... nothing happened. I had been warned that when this happened it was probably too hot and to just wait a few minutes. We sat there for 5 minutes and the cart just took off no problem. While waiting I reached under the cart and noted the motor was pretty warm / hot. About 30 minutes later I thought to feel the controller box cover and it was still fairly warm considering it was at least 30 minutes after stopping.

From what I've read I no doubt need to get a new higher amp controller and probably get bigger gauge wiring. Doubt I need a better motor... but that's why I'm posting this thread.

Honestly I could care less about speed. Most of our riding is at relatively slow speeds (actually like "creeping" around quietly) and we rarely even put the pedal fully down our whole trip. The torque felt ok but a modest improvement would make me feel a little better on the expeditions. Batteries are 1 year old Trojans and are very good. I will use this cart for hunting in the fall and winter but won't be hauling any loads heavier than the occasional monster buck:)

So if I've given you enough info what do I need to do to my cart? I can spend some money but I also don't want to spend on anything I really don't need.

400 amp controller with some heavier wires??? If you've got advice please be as specific as possible. Remember, I'm new at this. Also, If I do replace my controller is there a market for my used one? I won't be needing the stock parts that are removed of course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (78.3 KB, 0 views)
dogdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2000 PDS controller upgrade?

NICE looking Ezgo
With tires that big you will need a 400 amp controller and 200 amp solenoid . Bigger cables throughout will help with the amperage delivery... Torque will improve by about 30% and speed will increase 5-10 mph depending upon which mode you are in now with the stock control. The stock controller does have resale value if you can stop going into thermal shut down (one time it will just not come back on).
You can look at controller upgrade packages and PDS wire sets at > http://cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
dogdoc
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Scotty! I've browsed through the options for controller and solenoid. I could probably pick one of the "packages" that would work fine for me... I mean any of them would be a significant upgrade. So which of those combos will fulfill my needs? Why not go ahead and do a 500 amp controller? Will it potentially be too much for the stock motor or just more than my application will need?

Also, can you give me more specifics on cable upgrades? Is it just the battery cables or are there other cables that are going to see more "juice" flowing?

I see things mentioning "series carts"??? What exactly do I have???

Thanks again!
Old 08-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
1. Is it just the battery cables or are there other cables that are going to see more "juice" flowing?

I'll answer second question first.

2. If the Forward/Reverse selector is a rocker switch next to the keyswitch and there is a Run/Tow switch on the controller cover, you got a PDS cart.
PDS stands for Precision Drive System and uses a Sepex (SEParately EXcited motor, aka shunt or parallel wound)
A different current and amount of current flows the the Armature and Field windings

Series carts use a series wound motor.
The same current flows through both Armature and Stator (aka Field) windings.

Very important thing to remember is to flip the Run/Tow switch to Tow before working on anything electrical or pushing.towing cart. Otherwise you can ruin the controller.

Also, download the three .pdf files in this post from the Stickies at the top of this forum.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html
They are the Owner, Service and Parts manuals that cover your cart.

1. There are 10 high current cables that need to be upgraded on a PDS cart, plus two smaller gauge cables going between F1&F2 on controller to F1&F2 on motor that may need to be replaced.

I'm anal retentive about electrical efficiency, so I went with 2Ga for the 10 even though I doubt I'll ever install anything larger than a 400A controller.
I checked my F1&F2 cables with a Milli-Ohmmeter and they were okay, so I didn't replace them, but with a 12 year old cart, I'd probably replace them too.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
Thanks Scotty! I've browsed through the options for controller and solenoid. I could probably pick one of the "packages" that would work fine for me... I mean any of them would be a significant upgrade. So which of those combos will fulfill my needs? Why not go ahead and do a 500 amp controller? Will it potentially be too much for the stock motor or just more than my application will need?

Also, can you give me more specifics on cable upgrades? Is it just the battery cables or are there other cables that are going to see more "juice" flowing?

Thanks again!
On a PDS cart the 400 amp controller is usually all anybody needs. It will give you a noticeable increase in torque and speed from the driver's seat. As Johnny said, there are 10 cables in the complete set that I made for his cart. It is best to upgrade all the cables to eliminate any resistance or bottleneck in the amperage delivery system. Generally the 500 amp control is reserved for aftermarket motor packages. I hope this helps
Old 08-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
lawnripper
“I don’t feel tardy”

E-Z-GO

Im also looking to upgrade my 2000 PDS cables soon.. about the 2 gauge cable, will there be any places that will be tight or difficult to attatch because of the thickness and space available?

I am looking at the PDS diagram for wiring...I can see all the 7 cables across the batteries and what looks like four from the controller to the motor.. Is your install diagram available so I can understand exactly which 10 cables are being replaced?
lawnripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnripper View Post
Im also looking to upgrade my 2000 PDS cables soon.. about the 2 gauge cable, will there be any places that will be tight or difficult to attatch because of the thickness and space available?

I am looking at the PDS diagram for wiring...I can see all the 7 cables across the batteries and what looks like four from the controller to the motor.. Is your install diagram available so I can understand exactly which 10 cables are being replaced?
I had to enlarge the bottom opening on the controller cover to get it to fit around the thicker cables and there is a short cable between the solenoid output terminal and controller B+ terminal that I had play with a bit to get cover to bolt down tight.

Also, the output stud on the controller is too short for two of the thicker lugs, so the cable going to A1 on the motor is connected to B+ terminal on controller, which is the same point electrically and the bolt is long enough for two of the thicker lugs under it.

-----------
Your counting thick cables and thin cables, and might be overlooking one of the thick ones.

The 10 to be replaced are:
5 thick cables interconnecting the six batteries
2 thick cable connecting battery pack to solenoid and controller.
1 thick cable connecting solenoid to controller (This is the one that is often overlooked)
2 thick cables connecting controller to Armature windings in motor (A1 & A2)

The two cable from controller to the Motor's Field windings (F1 & F2) are thinner cables and only need to be replaced if bad.
Same goes for the two thinner cables from battery pack to cart's charger receptacle.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
lawnripper
“I don’t feel tardy”

E-Z-GO

JohnnieB!! right on thanks for clarifying!
lawnripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #9
dogdoc
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys!!! This helps a ton! I think with this info I'll be able to find the setup I need. I think a 400 amp controller, heavy duty solenoid, and some heavier wires should fix me up real good. Hopefully my stock motor will hold up for a while. If not I'm sure that can be replaced/upgraded if needed.

Thanks again!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

For the most part these motors are very durable. Out of the hundreds of 36v motors we have helped people put onto 48v only a few have actually been reported to have burned out. Interestingly enough these have been used extensively off road in very steep canyons or given to kids to play with. So I continue to believe if the motor is driven responsibly it will last a good long time.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO