lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2021, 05:12 AM   #1
cigarzfan
Not Yet Wild

Default Question Regarding 1991 Motor Swap - Room?

Going to replace motor on 1991 DS. I have a rear seat kit on, so looking to avoid removing body.

So, question is- Is there enough room to pull and swap the motor going under the seat (obviously with batteries removed)? Or am I going to have to remove body?

Thanks!!
cigarzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2021, 05:33 AM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Question Regarding 1991 Motor Swap - Room?

Should be able to take it out from underneath. I've been able to change out motors on a DS without disturbing anything else. Worst case you can put the cart up on Jack stands under the frame, disconnect the lower shock mounts and rear spring shackles. Then use a jack to carefully rotate the axle and motor down. You'll have all the room you could ever want, without messing with body, seats, or even batteries.

Last edited by meimk; 09-25-2021 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: Typo
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 04:55 PM   #3
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Removing the batteries will not give you enough room to replace the motor. You can remove the back seat only, and do it through the bagwell access cover. I did it once that way but never will again. There is enough room for your hands to disconnect and pull the motor, but you'll need to lower it to the ground with a strap. Now getting the new one in is another challenge.

This is all based on the old motor easily sliding out of the trans. Many older ones are siezed to the shaft. In that case you need to pull the rear axle anyway. So meimk's suggestion is the best.

But me from now on if I need to pull the motor, removing the back seat, roof supports, front seat and body are well worth the trouble. Of course, after all that, the motor may still be stuck. Then back to meimk's suggestion.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:37 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If the motor can come out underneath, then that's what I would do. I put the rear of my cart up on ramps when I pull the motor. (Yamaha but same deal)
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:11 PM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'll say again, I've been able to change out motors on an older (36V) DS without disturbing anything else. Even with everything place I could maneuver the motor out from underneath in the space between the body and axle. Yes, it weighs a bit, so you have to be careful. But it doesn't have to be such a major undertaking.

Last edited by meimk; 09-26-2021 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: Typo
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:15 PM   #6
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

I pulled the motor on my 03 DS from the bottom. No way it could be done through top access. Motor would not fit or my hands and arms. Yours may be different.
Good luck with it.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car