lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
sp_clark
Not Yet Wild

Default Checking Valve Clearance - KF82

What is the process for checking valve clearance? Do you have to remove side cover from engine or do you check through valve spring inspection cover?
sp_clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2015, 04:12 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Checking Valve Clearance - KF82

Here's a blowup of the motor assembly. I never had to check valve clearance on any of my motors. The valves are positioned next to the piston, so there's no piston-to-valve clearance measurement to worry about (flathead motor). If you're worried about the valves hitting the top cover of the cylinder head (#15 in the diagram) you can easily remove it and check things out.

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I'm sure he means lash when closed. He needs the spec for that and maybe a procedure. This should be measured at TDC on the compression stroke. Not sure how the spec reads (cold or hot)
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:56 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I don't believe it is adjustable. I rebuilt one of these motors years ago. If I'm remembering right lash was a built in aspect of the design, not adjustable.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:22 PM   #5
sp_clark
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. Yes I was referring to valve clearance....i think spec is .004 to .008. I was wondering HOW you adjust it. Seems like it's just different size tappet caps, which means removing the side cover.
sp_clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Yes there are tappet caps, they insert into the ends of the valves and ride on the camshaft, I imagine you could access them from that square opening below the exhaust outlet (I think there's just a plate covering it). Is that what you're referring to when you say "side cover"?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:33 PM   #7
ezgo on fire
Gone Wild
Club Car

They didn't make different size tappet caps. You just had to put the motor togather with the new ones and then sand them down until the right clearance. Why are you worried about the valve clearance. Once set there ususally on for ever. The rivets in the cam gear usually come loose before the cam tappets wear out.
ezgo on fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:16 AM   #8
tpg
Gone Wild
Club Car

They make different size caps. You usually adjust this when you assemble the engine. The easiest way to change them is unbolt the jug and slide it up a little. All done through valve cover hole.
tpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #9
GAC
Getting Wild

Club Car

I have wondered the same thing. Since I have owned my 1991 kf-82 we have always had a loud tappet sound coming from the engine. It's very annoying but still runs as good as it did 3 years ago.
GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:15 PM   #10
tpg
Gone Wild
Club Car

I bought all the sizes at one time. Then when I overhaul one I would measure and pull out the correct one. They are probably obsolete now. I doubt if you can get them any more.
tpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car