lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2015, 09:53 PM   #1
kb5zfe
Not Yet Wild

Default Robin EC25-2pg

I have a Robin EC25-2pg in an Ezgo golf cart that has no power in forward but runs good in reverse. What could be the problem? We have checked the starter/generator and the brushes and all look good.
kb5zfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2015, 12:03 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Robin EC25-2pg

Kendal
When you say no power in forward, is it still driveable, or is it completely dead?

I'm trying to determine if you have a sticking clutch problem, or an actual engine problem.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:10 AM   #3
kb5zfe
Not Yet Wild

The engine spits and sputters going forward but runs really good in reverse.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:41 AM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

There is the off chance that the timing has slipped making it run better in reverse.

There is also the chance that the crankshaft seals are worn in the forward direction. Running in reverse could help them seal better.

Those are the only 2 things that know which direction the engine is running.

Can you post pictures to help us determine what year your cart is? (body, and engine)
Old 07-28-2015, 08:59 AM   #5
kb5zfe
Not Yet Wild

P7280167.jpg We have noticed it backfiring from time to time thru the carb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7280168.jpg (188.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-28-2015, 04:21 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Yours is a 1987. I use the 85 manual for my 87.

It has electronic ignition, so you don't have to worry about points. There is a plate with a pulsar coil mounted on it under the flywheel. It's possible, but doubtful that the screws have come loose, and slipped the timing.

Let's get a little history on the cart.

Has it ever run good in your possession?

Has anybody rebuilt it recently?

Have you checked the spark plug for condition?

Is the plug wet?

A hit and miss way to test the crankshaft seals is to put the cart on blocks, run the engine, and spray some ether behind the clutch, and flywheel. If it runs different, the seals are sucking air.

The pictures are how the throttle cable should be hooked up.

I also forgot to mention that mine also ran in reverse, and would die going forward. It turned out to be a bad fuel pump with suspicious crankshaft seals. I am not 100% sure my seals were bad. This link shows the inside of the fuel pump. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...fuel-pump.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg open throttle.jpg (263.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg closed throttle.jpg (208.0 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
Old 07-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #7
kb5zfe
Not Yet Wild

My Uncle and Mom bought it yesterday so don't really know the history. The spark plug looks fairly new and it was a little damp. It has an electric fuel pump on it since the one on the engine quit. It does seem to run rich when going forward but not in reverse. After looking over yesterday, I notice the spark plug was not all the way in. Thought that might have been the problem but it made it worse it seemed. Like before, really sluggish in forward with not much acceleration but plenty of pep going in reverse. Also, Thanks for the .pdf file for the manual.

Last edited by kb5zfe; 07-28-2015 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: fogot to add something.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:31 PM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Ok, here's the problem. The previous owner didn't know what he was doing, messed up, and got frustrated which resulted in him selling it to an unsuspecting buyer.

We can fix it, but you have to decide if you want to start from scratch, or shot gun some parts into it using the pray, and spray method.

I know that some guys on here use electric fuel pumps. I'm not a fan. The engineers knew what they were designing, and the pulse pump is cheap enough to replace.

What did they do with the hole where the pump was mounted? Did the plug it, leave it open, or leave the original pump? If the original pump is there with no hoses on it, that is an air leak.

We now also have to wonder if they tried a rebuild, and put the piston in backwards. The way to check that is to remove the exhaust pipe, and move the piston up and down. If you see a square hole in the side of the piston, it is backwards.
You say it runs good backwards, so odds are the piston is ok, but we have to check.

We should also do a compression check, but running in reverse makes me believe that is ok too.

Crankshaft seals are still the major suspect, but there is a distinct possibility of an air leak involving the old fuel pump.

Lots of engine pictures would be great.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO