lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2015, 07:15 PM   #1
mopdog
Not Yet Wild

Default Making engine idle?

Has anyone ever set one up so the engine idles when you stop and not shut off? I have a 08 drive and we putt around the campground with a lot of stop signs and was thinking I might like that better.
mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2015, 07:30 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Making engine idle?

You can simply short the pedal switch on most carts and it will run long as the key is on. You set the idle speed where you want it to idle and it will.

I set my carts to idle on the pedal, I leave a little dead spot to do it, push more and it takes off. So I just hold my foot on the pedal a little and it idles fine. Issue with most carts is you can't shift at idle.

It wont hurt the cart to start it repeatedly, that is what they are built for. They should start quickly warm anyway.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:34 PM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

It works great that way.That is how I drove my g14 for 7 years and now my clone is set up that way also.If your driving your cart like a car it is a lot smoother set up this way.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:44 PM   #4
mopdog
Not Yet Wild

OK great! Few questions tho.
Where is this switch and what the best way to bypass? Ground out or jump?
The motor should shut off with the key correct?
If I can get it so it idles and not drag on the clutch it should shift properly rite?
Old 10-15-2015, 08:07 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

It will work fine that way, but yeah good idea to make sure the belt is not dragging.

IMHO, I would recommend you wire to each side of the pedal switch and put a little switch in, then you can enable/disable this feature, but up to you. Most carts the power goes switch to pedal switch to start solenoid. So technically if you look up the diagram or get the color codes or trace them....you can wire off the key (going to pedal) and wire to the start solenoid (from the pedal) all under the seat. You just jump the pedal switch.

If you get it to not drag, and idle slow, you can shift somewhat quickly and it usually works. If you get in neutral you often have to turn it off to get into gear.

I don't think the drive is much different than other yamaha, but find out from someone who knows. All older yamaha you jump or short the pedal switch and it acts like the pedal is on all the time. Since that power comes from the key, it will shut off with key.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:59 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The wiring would be the same for Drive carts as the others. Jumper the pedal switch & adjust the carb throttle blade to make it "run" instead of just "crank over" on the S/G. All the gas carts use a "sliding clutch dog" type of shifting system (like a boat lower unit). All the older ones used few large teeth (like 6 or 8 "blocks" on each side) to make the connection. The Drives with the Team axle does that too, but it has many more teeth (probably 30 or so), they are tapered on the ends to ease engagement (looks more like the actual gears in a automotive "stick shift" transmission). I dont make carts "idle" unless theres a v-twin in there, i think its rough on the trans. I cant say if the setup in the Team axle would act/wear better, or worse if configured to idle, just telling the difference as i see it. Another point that yet to be tested, what will happen if these tactics are tried to make the new FI carts "idle". I like the FI carts, but, its a very primitive system, i was disapointed when i saw how it was. I think Marathon1989's system could be a better system (& he's not backed by a "fully funded engineering department", but his following of willing "beta testers" is pretty healthy ).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:41 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I set my pedal up that way so it idles if my foot is on there, that way when driving I can keep it running if I want long as I am on the cart. I avoid any issues with the idle or wiring or shifting otherwise lol. When we pick mushrooms in the woods I idle around a lot looking for them, or on trails/roads I idle at corners, that is about it.

I always set my carts to idle so you can't run it on the starter and kill the battery, I set any that I work on in that area.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:13 PM   #8
mopdog
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
I set my pedal up that way so it idles if my foot is on there, that way when driving I can keep it running if I want long as I am on the cart. I avoid any issues with the idle or wiring or shifting otherwise lol. When we pick mushrooms in the woods I idle around a lot looking for them, or on trails/roads I idle at corners, that is about it.

I always set my carts to idle so you can't run it on the starter and kill the battery, I set any that I work on in that area.
Explain a little please? Im not so sure I understand.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:45 PM   #9
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

On a stock cart when you let up on the peddle but not completely off the cart engine shuts off but the starter is still turning the motor over but its not actually running he set his cart up that it that it is actually idling and doesn't kill the motor until peddle is fully released
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:15 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopdog View Post
Explain a little please? Im not so sure I understand.
You set the pedal to start right away then move about 1" at the top before it moves at the carburetor (leave slack in the cable). Since you have to move the pedal a ways to get WOT, sometimes if pedal is close to the floor you have to adjust or move the pedal up to get more travel. G9 is on splines you can move it one higher to get more travel. Then set the engine to slow idle when pedal is on, set speed and mixture. After a while you get used to it, you hold your foot on the pedal and it idles. So on a road or trail corner/stop I keep it running this way or I can let off and it stops.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha