lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2015, 09:44 PM   #11
Nikwho
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Help identifying gas Yamaha cart

Is premium gas mixed 40:1 adequate? I've got a bunch of 2 stroke pre-mixed gas for my sons jetski left over from our last lake trip this summer. I know that a lot of Yamaha's had the Yamalube system that allowed you to full tank with straight gas and the machine would inject oil as needed. Were these like that or are they simply a pre-mix situation? My cart will start and run but seems kind of bogged down. The previous owner said that the gas was old and that it needed a tune up. I was thinking that compression may be an issue because I was told that it runs strong when cold but loses power and smokes as it warms up. All points towards compression issues to me. but, I still have not checked or messed with any more simple diagnosis first. I was considering it running the way that it is being from a plugged exhaust, plugged air filter, etc. I have yet to check the plug, or anything else for that matter.

I have been in the process of building a Club Car DS with rebuilt 290 cc Kawasaki engine. I was shopping for wheels, tires and lift kit when I came across this cart! I got this cart for less than wheels and tires would have cost for the CC! Got a good enough deal that I didn't spend much time analyzing how it ran. I was able to start it and drive it up on the trailer, so I was happy! Got a stereo, couple of 6x9's, couple of 6 1/2's and a 32" LED light bar for it. Now just need to get it running strong and squared away.

Nik C.
Nikwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2015, 11:51 PM   #12
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

40:1 is way to much I deleted oil injection on mine this spring as I didn't trust it been running 100:1 all summer witch is the general consensus on this forum....the smoking as it warms up leads me to believe the muffler is full of build up look up the muffler bbg in the stickys maybe something you would want to try it does wonders
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #13
Nikwho
Not Yet Wild

Yeah, so th cart had premixed gas, that was thick and dark. I spilled some on the concrete and it left A LOT of oil on the ground after the gas evaporated away! Much more than my 40:1 gas did! It had to be 20:1-16:1! AND, if that's not enough, it still had the oil injection system intact and tank half full!! I'm surprised that it ran! I dumped it out, rinsed with new gas, added 2.5 gal of straight gas to my 2.5 gal of 40:1 premixed gas and cleaned the spark plug. Now, at least, I know that it's running 80:1. Guess that I'll try the BBQ cleaning next.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:06 PM   #14
Nikwho
Not Yet Wild

I have another big question to ask you all! I assume that most here are partial to Yamaha, but should be an experienced crowd to help me make a decision. I have a 1996 Club Car DS with 4 stroke gas 290cc engine that was just rebuilt. It has a brand new carburetor, coil, fuel pump, spark plug, fresh oil change and valve adjustment. So, it's totally dialed.

I am wondering if I should make a total Franken-cart and put my CC engine into my Yamaha cart with an EZGO body!?!? Even if I rebuild it, will this little 215cc 1983 Yamaha G1 two stroke make the power that the bigger, newer four stroke will? Another big concern is that later on I want to do a big engine swap! Still looking into the merit of the various different options, but I've realized that my little G1 Yamaha rear axle doesn't have a gear box. It relies on the engine running backwards to go into reverse! So, I'm wondering if I should swap my full Club Car engine and rear axle over to the new cart so that in addition to having a freshly rebuilt engine that's a dozen years newer, I will have the Club Car rear axle that has a gear box that will allow swapping in a different engine that won't have the ability to run in both directions like this little Yamaha! I'm not worried about the fab work necessary. I have a full metal fab shop at my disposal with MIG/TIG welders, brakes, shears, plasma cutter, tubing benders, etc. I'm just wondering if it's worth the effort to swap in the CC drivetrain?

Any thoughts/opinions on the matter would be appreciated!

Nik C.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha